Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need you guys to give me your opinion on the way I drive my recently acquired 1984 Bronco. I love driving the beast even though I get 9+ mpg. Anyway she has a 302 recently rebuilt 12k miles ago, c6 tranny, rear axle code is 3L50, and tires are 33's. On the highway I cruise at 3500 rpm or about 80 mph. Am I stressing the rear end, motor, or transmission sustaining that speed over 4 or 5 hrs on the road? Appreciate any insight you fellas can give me.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Personally, I don't think you are. I am sure opinions can change, but with a fresh 302, c6 is strong you should be fine.

But...

I drive a 94 bronco 4 speed, so my bronco probably feels a lot different cruising at that speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, about once a week is all. I have an 1983 bmw 633csi with 63k miles in the garage and its a great high speed touring car but, I'd rather drive my Bronco. If I can feel confident that she'll stand up to the highway use I'm gonna sell the car and put some more money in the beast.

·
Registered
225 Posts
should be OK, but make sure that rear driveshaft is always greased well. same goes for wheel bearings and everything else.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did your 86 have OD? that would be the difference if it did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swamp Donkey, I wonder why mine has to twist up more. Probably more like 3200 rpm to hit upper 70's. Could the tach be wrong?

·
Registered
138 Posts
That and Ford tachs are well known for NOT being accurate. I've seen em off by as much as 500 rpm. Alot of Ford gauges operate just as basic referance points. I use aftermarket Oil and Water gauges for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Now that you mention it... I did the math, and at 80mph with 33s and 3.50 gears, he should be spinning 2900 RPM.

Either the tach is wrong, or the gears have been swapped for 4.10s.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hmm... good call.

IF the truck hasn't had the speedo corrected and went from P235s to 33s, he's really going 91mph instead of 80... and the tach should read 3250 at that speed with 3.50 gears.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
don't use a fram oil filter. i took a 6 hour road trip once at 65-70 and when i started the truck up the next day, my oil filter blew up.

on a side note, you guys like to drive fast...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are right about the speedometer. Based on one of those stationary radar signs at a construction area my speed was 5 mph faster than my gauge showed. I have factored this into these calculations however.

Today I got confirmation that a wrist pin is making noise and was advised by my tech to replace the motor with a 351. Crap! This 302 was built by the previous owner and replaced the original 351. The 302 runs like a champ but naturally I'm concerned with potential problem from the wrist pin. I'm debating just fixing the 302 or taking his offer to install an $1800.00 crate 351 with performance parts ending up at $3000.00 and moving on. Merry f'ng christmas. In retrospect, I should have caught the engine noise when I was inspecting the vehicle. But those headers sounded sooo cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
get bigger tires on the highway it helps and in town it doesn't matter everything sucks in town but a prius..... they just suck everywhere

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Yeah something is wrong. tach not calibrated for larger tires, different gears swapped in, but there's no way anyone is cruising at 91 miles an hour for 4-5 hours in a Bronco. I buzzed my '96 down Hwy 65 at 90 mph after working on it, (85 tacked and still pulling), and it looked and felt like I was blowing cars off the freeway with the draft I was creating! That was for only like 2-3 minutes, but c'mon, 4-5 hours? Seboh-he'd definitely know, in a truck that size, if he was going 90+. Plus, it would be un-safe as hell. Not just for him but for everyone else on the freeway, either way though, he'd know it. The chances you'd be able to drive that long without grabbing the attention of the cops is pretty slim too. When I was testing the truck it was only running about 2600 rpm's and that was with 4.56's & 33's. you're at 3500......900 rpm difference?......something else must be wrong. Re-calibrate the PSOM and go from there.....:thumbup -Kevin-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts