Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished lining and painting the gas tank for my 280z, and it's just about ready to go back in. Since I have 5 hoses to reattach, I was wondering if I could help by lubing things up with some petroleum jelly. What do you guys think about that? Would it be harmful if it got into my fuel lines? these hoses are really not fun to slide on and off...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
it will be fine but don't get gobbs in the tank.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
I would use a not petroleum based lubricant.
Dish soap, KY Jelly, etc.
*flame on*

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would use a not petroleum based lubricant.
Dish soap, KY Jelly, etc.
*flame on*
Actually, you'd be far better off with a petroleum based lube, and Vaseline (or any brand petroleum jelly) in particular. Vaseline should dissolve pretty decently in gasoline when he gets a little in the tank.

A little piece of information for you ... we sometimes use up to a quarter of a tub of petroleum jelly doing automatic transmission rebuilds. It's the only thing that will dissolve completly in the tranny fluid and do no harm at all. I've literally used a giant glob of petroleum jelly to stick a clutch hub in the backside of one of the subassemblies in the AOD so we could get it to stay in place long enough to get the assembly in. :thumbup

Plus, there are few things as amusing (terrifying?) as two straight grown men in coveralls with nitrile gloves making vaseline jokes over a disassembled transmission. :rofl:

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Chuck said:
Actually, you'd be far better off with a petroleum based lube, and Vaseline (or any brand petroleum jelly) in particular. Vaseline should dissolve pretty decently in gasoline when he gets a little in the tank.
I didn't know that - wouldn't have guessed it dissolves quicker than the water based lubricants :thumbup

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
yea that is why i suggest it is ok, we used it all the time in the garage here in lubbock, we did alot of those tank drops cause the pump died. We used jelly cause it dissolved while regular grease will not desolve and clog up the filters and pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts