Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ruff Stuff makes a radius arm kit as well if you want to do your own fab work.

What is you plans for the rear? Just asking since you put the buckets on the list and are going coilovers. With going over your list, you wont need the buckets, the cast c-wedges or caps, the steering, or traction bar kit. WFO makes radius arm kits and lower coilover mounts for 05+ super duty axles that they use on duramaxs. I suggest adapting the factory steering the bronco gear box. What is the plans for upper coilover mount and coilovers? The budget is broken.
Cool truck can't wait to see the coyote swap in a obs F-150.
Little update on the truck. Got the front torn down and interior pretty much stripped. Hopefully going to finish stripping the interior on my next day off and then moving onto removing the bed, gas tanks, and any remaining wiring, accessories, etc.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow, you're getting after it! Where are you storing all the parts while you have the truck torn down?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow, you're getting after it! Where are you storing all the parts while you have the truck torn down?
I only get 1 to 2 days off a week so I can't waste any time! And that progress is only 3 days, 2 of which I didn't have a second hand.

Most of the parts I am storing at work, some will be at the body shop for a while (hopefully until I need them), and the rest at my house. I'm hoping to find a car trailer tomorrow and get the bed to the body shop.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey Green Turd. Thanks for the info! I want to change the buckets because mine are rusted out and need replacement anyway. The stock ones also aren't as far out as the aftermarket SAS swap mounts to better align with the HP Dana60. All I was going to do is get a bucket adapter to coilover so the coilovers will mount to the aftermarket bucket.

In regards to the c-wedges. So your saying I can use the radius arm mounts that are already on the axles?

As far as steering box. I was thinking of going with an aftermarket upgraded steering box from red-head or something. Wouldn't that be better?

I was thinking about going with King or Fox coilovers but before I even get that far, I need to figure out what length to get. Right now I have a rough country 6in on the stock setup and I don't want the truck to be any higher than that after the swap... Any suggestions on coilover length?

As far as the rear, I really haven't decided yet. I want the softest ride I can get that can still tow my 5,000ib boat (loaded and trailered weight). Any input on that would be GREATLY appreciated.

My opinion, If I were using coilovers I would use the adjustable coilover mounts from Ballistic or fab hoops. The 2" offset Duff buckets you posted are what I used. The extra 2" is going to add torque on the frame, I may never have a problem BUT..... I used the buckets because I allready had new 78-9 coils to use AND budget.

Ballpark numbers
front coils $200
coil buckets $180
lower mounts $100
Shocks $200 +

Coilover cost varies wildly from brand to brand and options

Loaded Kings prolly looking at $1400 lower end maybe $500 for the pair
Coilover lower mount Ruffstuff, WFO, Ballistic $50
Coilover tower Ballistic $160.

I think that planning to use cheaper coilovers and upgrade later is the best option. More adjustable and durable.

Looking forward to your bulid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My opinion, If I were using coilovers I would use the adjustable coilover mounts from Ballistic or fab hoops. The 2" offset Duff buckets you posted are what I used. The extra 2" is going to add torque on the frame, I may never have a problem BUT..... I used the buckets because I allready had new 78-9 coils to use AND budget.

Ballpark numbers
front coils $200
coil buckets $180
lower mounts $100
Shocks $200 +

Coilover cost varies wildly from brand to brand and options

Loaded Kings prolly looking at $1400 lower end maybe $500 for the pair
Coilover lower mount Ruffstuff, WFO, Ballistic $50
Coilover tower Ballistic $160.

I think that planning to use cheaper coilovers and upgrade later is the best option. More adjustable and durable.

Looking forward to your bulid.

Thanks for the advise man. I thought the offset was required when doing a superduty dana60 swap due to the axles being longer than whats currently under the truck?

And I agree about upgrading later. I figure it would be best, for my wallet, to go cheap on parts that are easily replaced so I can get the truck back together faster than otherwise. And that will also give me a chance to have more money for unexpected parts/hicups, fab work, etc as well as have a better idea of which direction I want to go... like coilover length for example and rear leaf springs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im currently going down the same road but with a Bronco
Im running a set of 2008 axles that where special ordered from ford with 4.10s a detroit truetrac up front and a detroit locker in the rear
12" stroke fox 2.5" coilovers from a sxs (I am fortunate to have a few laying around I was able to get for free.)
modified threat motorsports coilover mounts to a ruff stuff weld on mount on the axle, I am running the 2008 super duty radius arms just to get it rolling again but will be building a radius arm or three link setup.
I built a custom track bar mount mated to a Carli adjustable track bar
out back I am running JBG j40 Deaver springs with a threat motorsports shock relocation bracket, fabricated hangers and longer shackles.
I also have a Coyote swap sitting here ready to go but I want to get the suspension finished and proven before I add any more work for myself!
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
My next stage is making structures to support the radiator support as I am running fiberglass fenders up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Im currently going down the same road but with a Bronco
Im running a set of 2008 axles that where special ordered from ford with 4.10s a detroit truetrac up front and a detroit locker in the rear
12" stroke fox 2.5" coilovers from a sxs (I am fortunate to have a few laying around I was able to get for free.)
modified threat motorsports coilover mounts to a ruff stuff weld on mount on the axle, I am running the 2008 super duty radius arms just to get it rolling again but will be building a radius arm or three link setup.
I built a custom track bar mount mated to a Carli adjustable track bar
out back I am running JBG j40 Deaver springs with a threat motorsports shock relocation bracket, fabricated hangers and longer shackles.
I also have a Coyote swap sitting here ready to go but I want to get the suspension finished and proven before I add any more work for myself!
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
My next stage is making structures to support the radiator support as I am running fiberglass fenders up front.

Man, that is an awesome build you got going on! It looks super clean. I may very well be hitting you up as I come across problems or for general information. Nice to see someone going so far into the build!

Let me know which radiator you go with and how you mount it up. I was just thinking about that yesterday because I want to keep it mounted like-factory and as far forward as possible.

Also, what are you doing for engine mounts?

Currently I have racking my brain on how to redesign the HVAC system to 1) add A/C and 2) free up as much space as possible under the hood. It looks like the blower box will be in the way of the coyote.

It looks like I will end up going with RYD Motorsports axle swap kit but currently trying to get them to price out a "custom" kit, swapping out a few components from one kit with another. They are horrible at responding by email. Since I am not a fabricator and don't have easy access to one, I am trying to go with as many bolt-up parts I can versus custom fabrication and welding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As far as the radiator and engine mounts are concerned I haven't even started thinking about it. for that stuff I am going to try and go with as much OE parts as available since this will be a driver. I hope to take it on some long road trips and want to know if I have an issue I can get parts relatively easy for drive train stuff. There is a guy on a few of the facbook pages who has done a few Coyote swaps on Broncos and used mostly OEM parts. since I still have the frame from the donor truck i may cut out sections of it to use and fabricate in to the original Bronco frame. for motor mounts ect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another update on the build;

Bed removed and replacement bedside panels ordered. Fuel tanks removed. Working on the front fenders, hood, and tailgate to send to body shop. Engine, transmission, transfer case, ported intake manifold, Power by the hour speed drive, and few other misc parts ordered. Went with a new gen 3 coyote and 10R80 which is exciting. Now I just need to start a gofundme because my wallet is hurting.

Looks like I need to go ahead and replace all the cross members due to rust but unsure if I should go with stock, F250 crossmembers, or go all custom?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool man , you are really getting your truck stripped down.you would think the frame would be pretty clean for a southern truck.mite be best to build some custom cross members to strengthen your frame.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts