Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My name is Robert, from Wilmington, NC. I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself and hopefully meet some of the other members. I have '93 F-150, Shortbed, Single Cab, 2x4 with the 4.9 and 5speed manual that I starting to build. After years of wanting one I finally decided to pull the trigger when I saw this truck on the side of the road for sale. The end goal is to fully rebuild the entire truck from the ground up with a more modern drivetrain. I know it's going to be extremely tough and extensive but will be one-of-very-few when finished! If anyone has any experience doing the SAS and/or a coyote swap, I would love to connect and get some advice/insight as I move forward!

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo Robert,
Welcome to our F150 friendly site!

For any questions or to chat about those planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Find out if cruise control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Find out if cruise control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site ; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How To Use Search.
See more tips!

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Try to set aside tine to participate and Vote in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
You will get ideas by those competing.
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome⚠
.Al

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Your looking to convert your 2x4 to a 4x4 with a SAS?

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
welcome!

use the search bar and you can find a couple threads with a coyote swap and numerous threads with a SAS.

once you get enough posts be sure to start a build thread! (do we even still have post restrictions?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yo Robert,
Welcome to our F150 friendly site!

For any questions or to chat about those planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Find out if cruise control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Find out if cruise control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site ; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How To Use Search.
See more tips!

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Try to set aside tine to participate and Vote in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome⚠
.Al
Thanks Miesk5 for the info. I will certainly refer to the Noobie Bronco Tech Questions threads when I have specific questions! This post is only an introduction of myself and build, as well as welcoming anyone who has experience with these swaps to connect with me. I look forward to being a part of the groups discussions and learning new things. I'm a Master Service Advisor at a Ford dealership so I'm hoping I will be able to help others too with what knowledge and experience I have. I recently moved locations but I come from our Commercial, Fleet, and Diesel Truck Shop.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome!

use the search bar and you can find a couple threads with a coyote swap and numerous threads with a SAS.

once you get enough posts be sure to start a build thread! (do we even still have post restrictions?)

Thanks Dash_Cam! I will probably live in that section haha. I just wish I could find more threads of people who have specifically swapped an 05+ Dana60 and Sterling10.25 into a '93 Bronco or F-150.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Essentially, you could say that. Full front and rear axle swap, customer suspension, and 4x4 6R80 transmission with custom drive shafts.
Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to start with a 4x4?

Thanks Dash_Cam! I will probably live in that section haha. I just wish I could find more threads of people who have specifically swapped an 05+ Dana60 and Sterling10.25 into a '93 Bronco or F-150.
I swapped an 01 Silverado 14bolt into my 90 Bronco. Similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to start with a 4x4?

I swapped an 01 Silverado 14bolt into my 90 Bronco. Similar.
How so? I will be replacing all of the parts that differentiate a 4x4 from a 2x4 either way. I don't plan on leaving any part of the truck unmolested lol.

And good to know about your swap, I may have questions!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I mean its possible, anything is possible of course with enough time and money but not something I would do but thats me, a backyard mechanic and my Bronco is no longer driven on the road and has questionable mods by some peoples standards. But hey, it works and has for years -

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean its possible, anything is possible of course with enough time and money but not something I would do but thats me, a backyard mechanic and my Bronco is no longer driven on the road and has questionable mods by some peoples standards. But hey, it works and has for years -
Well now you got me curious. What problems will I run across versus if I had a 4x4 version?

Sick bronco by the way! That thing is a beast.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
You would need a 4x4 transmission tail housing and a tcase to bolt to it. . All electronics to control the tcase if it was an electric BW1356 or the linkage and shifter for a manual version. Front drive shaft, radius arms and frame brackets, trac bar and brackets, steering, etc SAS is an undertaking in itself let alone starting with a 2x4.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Welcome!

The sterlings from 99+ are all 10.5, not 10.25.

Honestly, with the plans you have, it doesnt make one difference whether your truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive. The ONLY difference is the transmission crossmember. And since you are going 6r80, you'll need a custom one anyways. The engine crossmember is the same for 2wd or 4x4, and with an SAS, you dont have to worry about mounting points.

I believe the only post restrictions we have still being implemented is in the For Sale section. And we have to police that ourselves since the new site let's everyone post there. We've been deleting violations constantly in there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You would need a 4x4 transmission tail housing and a tcase to bolt to it. . All electronics to control the tcase if it was an electric BW1356 or the linkage and shifter for a manual version. Front drive shaft, radius arms and frame brackets, trac bar and brackets, steering, etc SAS is an undertaking in itself let alone starting with a 2x4.
Gotcha. Those suspension parts are already necessary if it were a 2x4 or 4x4 for the SAS swap and the 4x4 F150 6R80 will take care of the rest. I just didn’t know if there was something else I was missing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome!

The sterlings from 99+ are all 10.5, not 10.25.

Honestly, with the plans you have, it doesnt make one difference whether your truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive. The ONLY difference is the transmission crossmember. And since you are going 6r80, you'll need a custom one anyways. The engine crossmember is the same for 2wd or 4x4, and with an SAS, you dont have to worry about mounting points.

I believe the only post restrictions we have still being implemented is in the For Sale section. And we have to police that ourselves since the new site let's everyone post there. We've been deleting violations constantly in there.
That’s what I thought too. But I wasn’t sure if Xdaily was hinting at something additional beyond that.

And that’s for the clarification about the rear axle!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Basically you just need a frame and body to wrap around your powertrain.

You might even be better off ditching the factory engine crossmember and making one that sets the engine lower. I say this because I imagine the 6r80 and NV 271/3 that you should be putting behind it are quite long. This makes a short, high angled rear driveshaft. The lower the transfer case output is, the better for that situation.

Consider a factory ford E-locker for the sterling. You can get a new one shipped to your door for under $600. I've got one on the shelf, as does another member. Much cheaper than an aftermarket selectable locker.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically you just need a frame and body to wrap around your powertrain.

You might even be better off ditching the factory engine crossmember and making one that sets the engine lower. I say this because I imagine the 6r80 and NV 271/3 that you should be putting behind it are quite long. This makes a short, high angled rear driveshaft. The lower the transfer case output is, the better for that situation.

Consider a factory ford E-locker for the sterling. You can get a new one shipped to your door for under $600. I've got one on the shelf, as does another member. Much cheaper than an aftermarket selectable locker.
Yeah the engine crossmember is my biggest question because I can't find any upgraded replacement ones so it will probably have to be fabricated... And if it does have to be fabricated, where should it be located as opposed to the stock one (on a horizontal axis)? Same place, further back, further forward? And then my next question is SAS clearance issues. I see a lot of people chopping the lower portion of the engine crossmember to make room for the SAS components and articulation.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
I would place the engine as far forward as possible, to help with the rear driveshaft issue I mentioned earlier. The factory crossmember is about 4-5" thick. You could make one from 2" dom tube and both lower the engine an inch, and have an inch extra clearance for the axle. Run a dry sump oil system and you'll have all sorts of room underneath.

If you are planning on a 6" or greater lift, the crossmember clearance is negligible.

I'm not aware of a drop in replacement, like that available for mustangs and such.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would place the engine as far forward as possible, to help with the rear driveshaft issue I mentioned earlier. The factory crossmember is about 4-5" thick. You could make one from 2" dom tube and both lower the engine an inch, and have an inch extra clearance for the axle. Run a dry sump oil system and you'll have all sorts of room underneath.

If you are planning on a 6" or greater lift, the crossmember clearance is negligible.

I'm not aware of a drop in replacement, like that available for mustangs and such.
Gotcha, very fair point! So really what I need to do is find out how much of the cross member would need to be removed for the lift so I know how low the bracket can go and then make it as thin as possible without loosing any strength. However, I can’t move the engine forward due to space constraints between engine and radiator/electric fans. And I know I need to stretch the distance between the transfer case and rear diff out as much as I can but ideally you want the engine as centered to the vehicle as possible for weight distribution. Do you think I’ll have an issue with only a 4in lift? Because that’s all I was planning to do. Maybe even just a 3.

Basically, right now I have a 6in rough country lift and 33s. I don’t want the truck to be any higher than it is right now, actually wouldn’t mind going down by an inch, maybe two.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
Sounds like you know kinda what you're doing. As much as I know lol.

@Alwaysdirty has the lowest lift SAS I know of, and has a build thread here somewhere

1 - 20 of 21 Posts