Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the skinny.
I have had a set of piaa 520's installed on the truck for some time. I replaced the microswitch that the piaa's came with, with a rocker switch and everything has been fine. and then. i got a bright idea, why not replace the rocker switch with an airplane type, with cover. so this is where it get weird, and i get lost.
When i wired up the new switch and then plugged the fuse back in, the wires started smoking and burning all the heck up. the wires were not frayed. and the crimps were good.

the wires coming from the relay are tiny 20-22gauge, the switch that the piaas came with it also tiny, and thats why i wanted to change it. what did i do this time to screw something up?

can anybody help me out? i have got to get this fixed quickly.

cheers,
jay

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Jay, when you rewired for the a/p switches, did you by chance upgrade portions of the wiring, like maybe the power or appliance to a larger gauge than the switches themselves? What it sounds like to me, either that or you have crossed some wires, power/ground....

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt elongate the wires at all. all i did was crimp a female .25 blade onto the ends. there are three wires white (hot?) black(grd) and a red (appl?) the wires started burning up right as i switched the lights on. i did put the wrong size fuse in, i grabbed a 5 amp and it shorted immediately, i was looking for a 15, but put a 30 in and it didnt short at all, but the wires melted, and i know that aint good. this is all learning curve for me man. i dont really know what i am doing, but have a decent idea. i love screwing around with this stuff. but its too dark now, and too cold outside for tonight. what do you think?
what size fuse shoudl i be using anyhow, when it was working fine, i had a 15 in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts