Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the center pin holding my brothers (on his 92 bronco) driver side spring pack let go the other day.... we replaced both of em and all the u bolts earlier today... this is what came out of the driver side... and you can see that the pin part on the end that sticks into the degree shim broke off too:toothless i was suprised it looked like stair steps ... i hadn't realized that all the springs had shifted against eachother this much... and don't really have a good idea as to why the pin snapped

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
and don't really have a good idea as to why the pin snapped
Loose U-bolts. The pin is really only there to hold the springs together out of the truck, and locate the axle. Its the U-bolts that hold everything tightly

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikE2 said:
Loose U-bolts. The pin is really only there to hold the springs together out of the truck, and locate the axle. Its the U-bolts that hold everything tightly
i know the u bolts were torqued properly and then checked again later... maybe they just sucked and have stretched some... they aren't but about 1 1/2 years old... same with the center pin.... this happened driving on the street... i'm thinking the center pin went first and then allowed everything to sort of shift which then stretched the u bolts... but i guess it doesn't really matter... was just a minor pain in the ass

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
i know the u bolts were torqued properly and then checked again later... maybe they just sucked and have stretched some... they aren't but about 1 1/2 years old... same with the center pin.... this happened driving on the street... i'm thinking the center pin went first and then allowed everything to sort of shift which then stretched the u bolts... but i guess it doesn't really matter... was just a minor pain in the ass
U-bolts were not torqued enoufgh. The thing with U-bolts is they need to be torqued down evenly when installed (like 1/4 turn on this one, then the next, then the next, then the next....) then re-torqued at 20 miles, 100 miles, and 1000 miles and maybe again once a year if needed. The centering pin has nothing to do with what happened. You could have even pulled the nut off the stud after the U-bolts were torqued and driven it that way forever without a problem.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i pulled one that looked about like that out of my front end after only 6 months of abuse:shocked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts