Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some of the balljoint writeups, and I understand the process alright, but doesn anyone have a pic of exactly where you put the seperator fork to hit with the hammer? Thanks, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Remove the castle nuts from the upper and lower ball joint as well as the tie-rod endthen, using a small sledge hammer beat the knuckle until it falls off. If you are planning on replacing the upper balljoint beat the stud of the upper balljoint. That's the way I do it anyway. To remove the balljoint buy/rent/borrow a ball joint press and press out the lower ball joint first and then the upper. Reinstall them in reverse order.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove the castle nuts from the upper and lower ball joint as well as the tie-rod endthen, using a small sledge hammer beat the knuckle until it falls off. If you are planning on replacing the upper balljoint beat the stud of the upper balljoint. That's the way I do it anyway. To remove the balljoint buy/rent/borrow a ball joint press and press out the lower ball joint first and then the upper. Reinstall them in reverse order.
Thanks I will try that.
Unless your going to a shop to press the ball joints on i would skip the fork and just rent a ball joint press
I was originaly going to do them myself, but I am going to have all of the spindle studs pressed out and new ones installed. So I figured they coudl press they balljoints in while the knuckles were at the machine shop.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i use the hammer method but i usually hit the side where the ball joint stud goes through the beam, typically it's only one or two whacks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts