Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found myself wanting a 4 door Bronco, a nice rust free Bronco, or a crew cab truck. Ideally a C350 with the 7.3 PS and a ZF5 is what I'd want but there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $10k for a truck that old that needs work.

So I happened to stumble upon this 89 for a good price. 7.3 IDI, recently rebuilt E4OD, 230k miles and running strong. It's now taking DD duty and my F150 is my back up. Plans are for 12klb winch, locked front, LSD in the rear, 38x15 Ground Hawgs, maybe 5.13s, rear bumper, and we'll see what else. Possibly gonna get an ATS, Banks, or Hypermax turbo, gauges, and water injection.

I put on my Warn Winch bumper the day after I picked it up. It needs a few things, horribly sagging front springs, headlight housing, front tank, just small stuff. I have all the parts to fix it. The body is really solid, especially for Mass. Has a few small spots of rust that need to be fixed. The frame is 100% solid and the rear was already coated with POR-15.

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
good looking truck. How do those old non turbo IDI's do compared to a 460?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Be careful with the water injection...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice man. I just picked up an '89 CC with a powerstroke transplant last week.
I was looking for a powerstroke originally but couldn't pass on this.

good looking truck. How do those old non turbo IDI's do compared to a 460?
All my 460 trucks are parts truck so I haven't actually driven one. Compared to the 351, it is much better. I was very surprised when I drove it. Supposedly the IP was turned up a little. The truck only smokes a little in neutral when you rev it up pretty high. Normal driving there isn't anything really.

Be careful with the water injection...
I still have more to look into but what is encouraging these words of caution?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
make sure the coolant has the anti-cavitation additive or it will slowly eat through the cylinder walls and ruin the motor.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
water injection is useless unless you plan on racing it down the strip, we've hooked it up to tons of trucks, and I can honestly say that it hardly makes any difference in EGT's and in no way increases performance

now once you hit the 500hp+ point then you start to notice a difference

but apart from that, looks like a good solid truck you found

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice!

now you should sign up on a diesel forum. Oilburner.net is probably the best for these IDI's (IMHO)
I've been on there for over a year now since I had my Deuce. I'm racking up on diesels now that I have 3.

make sure the coolant has the anti-cavitation additive or it will slowly eat through the cylinder walls and ruin the motor.
Yea, I'm going to flush the coolant and add some new stuff with the additive.

water injection is useless unless you plan on racing it down the strip, we've hooked it up to tons of trucks, and I can honestly say that it hardly makes any difference in EGT's and in no way increases performance

now once you hit the 500hp+ point then you start to notice a difference

but apart from that, looks like a good solid truck you found
I've seen threads where people with M35s with the LDT465 and people with the LDS, Cummins 250 with added turbo, Cummins 400, Cummins 5.9, the 7.3 IDIs etc. have turned up the IP and ran water injection to keep the EGTs down with good success.

Considering I'll be adding a turbo and cranking the fuel I'd think it'd hit 1200* pretty quick.

Why LSD in the rear and locked up front?
I have an Aussie in my F150 and I think I'd rather have LS so it's not locking up on turns so much. Plus I have a few 4.10 LSD 10.25s.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
I had a line on a nice c250 over here a few months back it had everything you could've wanted but the ZF in it for $3800

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got around to makin this more into a wheeler. I put my warn winch bumper on a while ago but didn't get th winch hooked up til last week. I ended up having to do new injectors, pump, and lift pump which I switched to high flow electric. I went with a turbo pump and the biggest size, BB, injectors. It's pretty good now but I still need to get gauges and crank the fuel.

I'm going to pick up some dually hubs nd spacers to run my hummer beadlocks, TRE flip, order my ubolts so I can mixed some springs up front, and hopefully fix my body mounts since they are all a mess.

Right now I managed to get my 38.5x15 hawgs up front nd 40x18x15 hawgs out back. The fronts rub the inner fender a little and one tire caught the edge of the bumper so I'll have to trim it back a little. But for the most part, a stock f4350 will clear 38s up front with minor fender trimming and bumper trimming and 40s out back with no issues.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Looks good. What kind of mileage you get with something like that?

KC

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was getting 17mpg before with the 33s. It require a bit more right foot to get going with the 40s though.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's new england. Pretty much anything around 10 years old starts to rust. It SUCKS!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts