Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my pickup started life out as a farmer's daily driver, had a camper on it at once point, a college student bought it for a short time and then it ended up in my hands. The truck was flawless, was cared for really well and had every option you could get. The previous owner installed new BJ's, brakes, FRPP shorty headers and true dual exhaust, a K&N FIPK and a bed insert, the truck was a dream for a first vehicle in high school.

Here is an earlier shot of the truck, I had installed a 2" lift and then slid the truck into a telephone wire, hence the missing valance and repaired hood. I replaced the bald tires and cleaned it up. It sure did shine back then-

Then came the 4 wheeling-

Right off the get go I installed 4.56 gears in the 8.8, rebuilt the trak-loc and in searching for gears for the front, I came across a D50 with 4.56's in it. A little more research and I purchased a power lok for the D50 and installed everything the next weekend.

The pickup then got 34" LTB's and I started breaking axle shafts EVERY time I went one, I seemed to get two runs out of the front joints when I had the BFG's on it.

At this point I was still driving the truck to events and wheeling it like a rental and it had made it home on it's own every single trip. The last trips were no exception-

At this point I had bought my 74' Bronco and been swapping 1 tons and suspension under it, so I let my brother wheel my pickup... :twak

Needless to say he had no idea he caught 3 feet of air, "it was so smooth". Looking back I had it made, nothing like wheeling with the stereo thumping away, A/C blowing ice cold, windows down and a screaming EFI motor that never overheated...

The 3rd obstacle he took the truck on he used too much throttle and exploded my chromoly outers - that was then end of that trip...

At that point I had a fully built trailer queen and an old rig. What to do with a locked and geared pickup truck... I ended up buying a small 7' plow to put on the pickup as I've got a large driveway to clear - after all of that abuse I had given the truck I only ever had to replace a water pump, fuel pump and a fan clutch. I just replaced the front brakes last week :toothless

Beating on a truck non stop takes it's toll - I killed two transmissions, at least 8 sets of front axle shafts, one lockout, two leaf springs and countless body panels; I think I'm on my 3rd front clip. On to the repairs -

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first transmission swap was interesting - I ran into some wiring changes and installed an electric shift improver, I've got a thread that talks about that.

I killed the front pump and was overheating that old transmission, so a heavy duty cooler and external filter was installed.

In the off season I had my truck parked at the endge of some woods, bad mistake. My truck got mouse infested, easily 10+ mice at once. I could hear them moving around and pissing behind the dash if I sat quietly in the truck :barf

Out came the dash-

I washed everything heavily and then washed it again with laundry detergent, I needed something scented to help cover up the chemical smell. I got everything back together, not 100%, but enough to where I can use the truck. Big bonus - with the heat on the truck smells like fresh laundry :histerica

The shift + module I installed made the shifts so firm and harsh that I destroyed the transmission, I stripped out the forward clutch hub and god only knows what else inside that transmission, at the end, I only had reverse. I searched CL and scored a fresh Jasper rebuilt 4R70W for $160, only had to drive an hour to get it.

The transmission came out without issue, I easily re-wired the electronics as this was a pre 98' transmission and jammed it back in. At this point I started finding parts of the truck were in quite some need of attention, crawling under and in the truck will do that...

I had been noticing some coolant loss and figured the water pump had died for some reason, but after some quick digging I found that my timing chain cover was leaking :( I had to fix that as I was sick of the truck leaking coolant, so out came the radiator, fan and the accessories. My progress came to a halt when I ran into this little gem -

My truck has had a rattle for a very long time, I had no idea it could be something like this. I ended up breaking an easy out off into the balancer on top of things, luckily I had a spare. I scored a crank pulley for $10, but it turns out to be a little small - everything is working, the alt isn't charging at idle though...

After the timing chain cover came off I found yet another thing I should address...

The next day I had collected what I needed and got everything buttoned back up-

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got the engine back together I could test the new transmission! Everything worked great, I've got some linkage issues, but it shifts great.

Then I noticed the ATF leak :banghead

I found ATF on the oil pan and figured that was it, but I was relieved (really?) to find ATF on top around the dipstick tube. I popped the one bolt out and removed it to find this-

I had cracked the fill tube around the o-ring from having it in and out so many times, probably not very carefully either.

A little welding,

some careful grinding,

and some RTV I was ready to give it a shot.

Success! No more leaks - total time, ~30 minutes. :rockon

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 wheeling this truck was hard on springs, really hard. The second to the last year I had been wheeling my pickup I broke a spring, to keep it from twisting out into my tire I tied a rope around it - it was a quick fix... that lasted 4 years :toothless

Needless to say I have broken springs-

For $80 I got a pair of replacement springs from the yard - I wanted to keep the springs light as I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

I did not expect to get the hangers and shackles all included, I had bought new hangers, shackles and bushings for this job, but after some inspection everything looked good enough for now - I don't exactly have the time to fight those bolts and bushings at the moment.

I ground off the rivets, used an air hammer to pop them out and a buddy and I were able to replace the severely broken side in an evening. The truck now sits perfectly level - I'm happy for now. I should have taken a picture or two, the shackle hanger was completely rusted through on the bottom, had cracked up the side to where the bolt goes through and rusted through between the rivets as well - yikes!

Back when I had the fuel pump replaced (2005) I got the truck back and noticed it smelled like gas - I started going to college, so I never got around to sending the truck back to the shop to fix. I started digging into that right after replacing the springs as I'm waiting on u-bolts to arrive.

I dropped the tank, pulled the lock ring off and removed the sending unit and immediately discovered the source of the fuel leak. Whoever put this together completely screwed up and didn't get the o-ring seated correctly (how do you mess that up?) and it leaked...

I got some Seals All just in case and put a layer down, then the o-ring and then another layer. I let it sit for a little bit and then placed the sending unit in and hammered the ring on. Seals All is gas and oil resistant - I wasn't taking any chances.

I got the trank all hooked back up, in the truck and was cleaning things up before I put the straps on and this happened... :doh0715: :banghead

At this point - :whiteflag

Luckily I had a buddy who works for Oriley's - discounts ahoy!

I was able to score a new tank for WELL under $100 and it was in stock! W00t!

I installed the sending unit, rollover valve and filler tube and taped the important stuff off.

Then I ensured the tank would last forever- rubberized undercoating :rockon

That is where currently am - I removed the broken plow lights, re-routed my cables, mounted and re-ran the power cables and solenoid. I've got a new oil pan plug to install and two u-joints to replace and I'm off to the exhaust shop. I've had a broken header bolt from day one that has been driving me nuts, the rear bolt on the passenger side head. I got the header off and I need to remove the broken piece - that is the next step....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,515 Posts
very cool..nice project you have going there.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very cool..nice project you have going there.
Thanks - this truck still has many years of service left in it.

While I was waiting for tank parts I got started on the other set of leaf springs. I got two left side springs, so I had to replace the hardware on the other spring - I had to carefully cut off the front hanger and auto parts stores don't seem to carry them...

I got my tank finished up and installed, straps painted and installed and repaired a brake line. All I've got left is to fix a few ujoints and get exhaust on it and I'm set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts