Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any guys with a six inch lift have any close up pics of their front swaybars. I think there is something wrong i think one of the brackets is upside down but i dont know.

thanks in advance ,matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i cant take a pic i dont have a digital camera and dont have any other pics of it but i will try to describe it.

Ok where the swaybar attaches right in front of the shock the little drop arm is pointing down so the sway bar is attached below the stock position. shouldnt, that little drop bar be flipped so the swaybar is attached above the stock location?

does this make any sense??

Thanks ina dvance < Matt

K

·
0 Posts
alright, im gonna go back to my newbie days, but while yall are on the subject..

WHAT do swaybars do? and if i take mine off, what will it affect ON the road - if anything? thanks, sorry :(

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I moved mine above for my four inch lift, when it was underneath it rubbed the front shock, which you can see Crazed does not have in his pic. I'm just going to ditch them anyway, so it won't really matter. But I can take a pic for you if you like to show you how its on there now..

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
KENNY said:
alright, im gonna go back to my newbie days, but while yall are on the subject..

WHAT do swaybars do? and if i take mine off, what will it affect ON the road - if anything? thanks, sorry :(
Swaybars work as a torsion bar....dealing with twisting forces. One end link is mounted on one side, and other on the other side... their function is to control body roll. As in, when one side rocks down, the swaybar keeps the other side from rocking up....like the leaning in a turn.

If you keep your truck on road for a majority of the time, only only occasionally offroad with it, leave it on. If you go offroad quite a bit, and require some bigtime flexing of your suspension, then take it off, as it would inhibit the "flex". "Flex" is an exaggerated form of body roll... one wheel up in the wheel well, and the other dropped down. Just imagine a "flex" but on a level surface. You'd be looking at the ground through the pass side window..now if you throw in a body roll of that magnitude during a turn..well, you can see where you'd end up.

Leaving it on for a highway queen is a good thing... like if you're on the interstate and somebody pulls in front of you and you need to make an emergency turn...the swaybars would keep the truck upright by limiting the body roll, therefore allowing better road holding power. In a situation like that, body roll is bad, as body roll is what makes the truck want to continue rolling on over the top...maybe twice or three times too. :eek:

I'll attempt to make some crude drawings to illustrate my point. I'll attach them when they're complete.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Heres some crude drawings I promised. These are exaggerated, but should get the point across.

On road..

Off road...

Look at the pictures, and you can decide for yourself. Do you spend more time on the pavement, or non-paved areas? Do you really need the flex ability?

Its your call. Hope this enlightens some people.

And heh... sorry to hijack the thread like that. Asked and answered. Grab a camera from somewhere and snap a few pics... heh.. go to wallyworld and buy one of the cheap digicams, use it once, then return it. :toothless

·
Registered
463 Posts
i spend most of my time on the road. but once i get a 4" lift, i may take em off. just for those certain situations. but if its too bad on the road, id put em back on. which brings me to my question... how long does it take to uninstall/install? please say as long as it takes to install hubs.:D

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
SNIBB said:
i spend most of my time on the road. but once i get a 4" lift, i may take em off. just for those certain situations. but if its too bad on the road, id put em back on. which brings me to my question... how long does it take to uninstall/install? please say as long as it takes to install hubs.:D
Depends on how long it takes you to install hubs. :goodfinge

Taking them off should take you no more than 5 minutes with air tools, maybe 7-10 with ratchets. Putting them on should take the same amount if you can remember exactly how the brackets go. Installation is as easy as removal... as long as you're on a flat and level surface. It gets more difficult if the body is leaning one direction or another.... :\

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Can anyone explain why people flip the ends of the sway bars? Is it just to get a little more clearance? How difficult is it? Wouldn't it mess up your allignment?

My bronco has to be reliable on the road, so I don't think I'm ready to take them off completely. Would it be worth my trouble to flip them?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
why would anyone with a 6" lift have swaybars? ........ the NEW .. yes I enforce BRAND NEW 6" coil springs are more than adequate to make your truck as stable if not even MORE stable than worn stockers with a swaybar :thumbup ... 'tiz all good **** :p

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
Can anyone explain why people flip the ends of the sway bars? Is it just to get a little more clearance? How difficult is it? Wouldn't it mess up your allignment?

My bronco has to be reliable on the road, so I don't think I'm ready to take them off completely. Would it be worth my trouble to flip them?

Thanks.

you don't flip the swaybar :twak .. you flip the TIE RODS to get them up a little higher and give some better clearance so you don't bash and bend them :thumbup

this steering stabalizer actually got crushed and gave me enough warning that I stopped prior to me bending my tie rod while crwling through some rocks and tree stumps ... so you see what I mean?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts