Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its starting to irritate me. Rather pronounced tire lean in the front end thusly: \\ //

Not quite that extremem obviously, but very noticable.

This is a new-to-me truck, so I'm unaware of any issues the front end might have had. My first suspect was ball joints, but those appear sound (no movement from tire). Only movement/looseness I've detected so far is in the passenger tire, due to a failing wheel bearing, getting a little bit of play out of that.

Driver's side tire also wears badly on the inside edge. Truck pulls hard to the right, so I already know its out of alignment, but see no point in getting it aligned until I get the wheel bearing fixed, get some fresh grease in or perhaps replace the balljoints.

Is there something else I'm not thinking of? What I'm getting at is that I can't understand how one bad wheel bearing could make BOTH tires lean so noticably. Is this a thing with the TTB front end? I'm a Jeep guy myself, don't know much about axles that hinge in the middle.

Just for reference, 85 F-150, EFI 5.0, 4spd, 4wd.

TIA.

Boots

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Obviously alignment..

A thing to check for the pulling may be the radius arm bushings, Chances are they are old, cracked, and dry-rotted from the inside out. The will make alot of excess stress transfer from the front axle towards the frame, and will transfer the stress to whichever bushing has the most play in it.

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
umm the tbb is ok if you have stock tires and don't really do any hardcore wheeling. But if you get bigger tires or do alot of hardcore wheeling you front end will go to crap and will always be out of alined. So here are yyour options 1. just get your truck alined like every month or so. 2. SAS swap (that is a solid axle swap if ya didn't know:thumbup ) or 3. just deal with it.

hope that answer's some of your questions.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Ok, clarify for me... Are you saying it's towed in or that the camber is off? If the camber is off, then yes balljoints could be the culprit. If you are saying that it's towed in, then you should check and make sure that your tie rods and drag link aren't ****ed up. They could be bent or anything. If they are, a temporary fix would be to pull one side off, and bring it out until the tires are realligned. ( or bring both sides out to make it symetrical) By the way, does it only pull to the side under braking, or is it always pulling? If it's under braking, then it's time to do some brake work. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
BootsntheBronco said:
Ok, its starting to irritate me. Rather pronounced tire lean in the front end thusly: \\ //
Is this a thing with the TTB front end? I'm a Jeep guy myself, don't know much about axles that hinge in the middle.

simply put .. answer is yes .. get used to aligning twice a year .. more if you beat on it

·
Super Moderator
14,894 Posts
Re: Re: Pigeon-toed Ford?

Damager said:
simply put .. answer is yes .. get used to aligning twice a year .. more if you beat on it
How about every time you wheel it...that's about where I'm at, and it gets old really quick having to go to the shop to have it aligned after every trip. Just one more reason to do an SAS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not built or beat... just 31's and is my work truck. It does have a 3" body lift :)toothless ) that I'm too lazy to take out.

Anyway, yes, it pulls to the right all the time. And the inside of the driver's side is worn badly, which obviously is due to the alignment issue.

My current thought is... most of the time when I park it, the wheels look fine. Which means to me that it's toed out, especially to the passenger side, and that's why it pulls and also wears out the driver's side tire.

Also, since that is the case, when I BACK into my spot at work, the tires kick the other way, i.e. toe in (more so due to the bad wheel bearing) and that also accents the positive camber problem.

Yes? No? Indifferent?

I have to get after that wheel bearing before the damn tires falls off on the highway.... and then get it aligned...

I need to take a closer look at the c-bushing and steering components again. None of the steering looks bent or overly damaged, and no excessive play at the joints.... I gotta think a healthy dose of grease will help tell where the problems are and aren't.

Boots

·
Registered
101 Posts
toed in

my bronco is toed in and if I drive in strait the camber is like this
\ / but if I back up they look like this / \ tires are forcing the ttb up or down depending on forward or reversing rotation. when the tie rod was changed they didnt align it so if it stops raining soon I'll go out and straiten things out I'm not that worried as long as it is close because if I take it for an alignment and then take it wheelin next weekend it will be out again. so I'll just get it close and keep the tools handy.:thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts