Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don’t get rained out, I plan on putting the 351 in my bronco this weekend.

First thing is to remove the old slave cylinder and throw out bearing and replace them with new. Then it’s time to install the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing to the engine.

The clutch kit came with a solid pilot bearing which I’m not going to use, as I bought a roller one. Also in the kit was a tiny tube of lube. Where am I supposed to use it? Clutch came with no instructions. I would guess anywhere I put it could spin out and ruin the clutch.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,037 Posts
Is it lube or is it Locktite? Some kits come with Loctite for the pressure plate bolts. I have also heard of, but have never seen or used it, some of the new clutch kits supposedly come with “Spline lube”??I have never lubed the splines on a transmission in my life, but supposedly a lot of the new clutch kits recommend a light coating on the input shaft.
I would be afraid that it would fling off and get on the clutch disk and cause it to slip

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
939 Posts
If it’s what I’m thinking, it’s for the splines. I’ve only done one or two that came with that spline grease. I used it when they gave it to me, never had an issue with it getting on the clutch disc or anything

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Blue. The lube has to be for the splines on the clutch disc that slides onto the input shaft.

Reactions: jfourdyce

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,644 Posts
Yup, spline grease. Ive seen it on some JY transmissions.

Shouldn't the roller pilot bearing have grease in it too though?

I use red loctite on almost everything over 1/4" diameter.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,037 Posts
IMO, red usually requires some heat to remove, heat greater than 550° F . If red were to be used and someone decides to use an impact on it someday, the chances for breakage can increase, especially in smaller diameter fasteners.
Just my opinion.
And, yes, the roller bearing should be lubricated, in this case, he said the kit came with a bronze bearing and I'm assuming the amount of lube included was too much for the bronze bearing so therefore question arose what was the lubricant for?

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,644 Posts
IMO, red usually requires some heat to remove, heat greater than 550° F . If red were to be used and someone decides to use an impact on it someday, the chances for breakage can increase, especially in smaller diameter fasteners.
Just my opinion.
And, yes, the roller bearing should be lubricated, in this case, he said the kit came with a bronze bearing and I'm assuming the amount of lube included was too much for the bronze bearing so therefore question arose what was the lubricant for?
I rarely if maybe only a couple times, have had to use heat for red loctite. I know its supposed to require it. Thats also why i said on fasteners over .25". Less chance of breakage. Of course, ive only tightened a bolt maybe 10% as many times as you!

Ive also used it on slip fit connections for ball (annealed ball bearings) ends on vise handles and screw jacks. Works real well.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went with the blue loctite

as far as the lube goes, I put a bit from that little pouch on the rollers, but realized that there’s a decent (a couple cc’s) space behind the bearing in the crank. I assume I could pack some more of that, or even some white lithium grease back in there and save just a bit of the purple supplied lube for the splines. But I feel that that much lube would somehow find its way out and contaminate stuff, so I may leave it with ‘just a bit’ on the bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts