Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to all you that are thinking about the new LED bulbs made by Pilot, avoid them. I bought a complete set for my 89 on Saturday, put them in and liked to look. Until I got in and stepped on the brake pedal and the dash lights and front markers lit up. Took them back today to find out another person, an employee of the store I bought them at, had the same issues with his F350. Actually lit up his cab lights also. Upon futher inspection, it looks like the contacts on the bulbs are bent so that they contact both the parking lights and the turn / stop light contacts at the same time. :twak:twak:twak

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
this is a common issue. its not just the brand. it the design. because most turn signal LEDs use the same LEDs to act for a dual filament bulb but wire a resistor for one filament so its dimmer than the other. in my 96 Bronco I can run LEDs for everything except the front turn signals because the turn signal flows through the parking light to all other turn signals. ive tried the special 'dual filament' LEDs but even they have a failed design that both filaments share the same ground so it still doesn't work. my friends F250 didn't like them in either front or rear turn signals

·
Banned
6,552 Posts
...the front turn signals because the turn signal flows through the parking light to all other turn signals.
No, they don't. Each front turn signal is only linked to its dash indicator; they're not even linked to each other. They're certainly not linked to the parking lights, other than sharing a ground terminal in the bulb. And that only creates a problem if the bulb isn't grounded - LED or incandescent.

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
the LEDs would allow the power to flow from the parking light to the turn signal and vice versa. if I had my parking lights on, then power would flow through the LED like a T and make both turn indicators be on. if I used my turn signal, it would flow through the LED to also go to the parking light and allow all 4 parking lights to flash with the turn signal.

when I took the connector from the LED I found that the pin that would go to each filament on a normal bulb connected to the LEDs in the same spot. but one of them would have a resistor so that it would make the LED dimmer.

on my 'dual filament' LED, they had separate positives but the grounds were connected. i would think having the grounds connected shouldn't affect anything but it still had problems.

ill have to retest them both and see tomarrow. also ill take pics of what im talking about

1 - 4 of 4 Posts