Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I finally got Half Life 2 and Steam and all that good stuff going. So, today I decided to try out internet gaming for the first time in Counter Strike Source.

The lowest ping (is that the latency bar on the right side?) I ever saw was above 500. Seceral servers were at about 1500. A mild-mannered gentleman informed me that my ping "sucks balls" (that was the ONLY voice thing I ever made out :toothless ). and later typed that the average was about 75. Holy shit :shocked !!! I thought I was home free when I got high-speed internet. If it's not one thing, it's another. Hell, I've read of some dial-up guys getting 200!!

So, how do I get this down? Is it a hardware problem or what?

Computer Specs.
Connection speed is about 510kbs download and 110 kbs upload, I think. It's satillite based.
Athlon 3800 X2
1 gig of PC3200 RAM
And the gem of my hardware, an integrated ATI XPRESS 200 graphics POS. (ran outta dough) :toothless

Could the integrated video chip be my problem? I could play the game decently, but it was somewhat choppy and ocasionally artifiacted pretty bad.

I killed about ten guys and got it about eighty times :brownbag .

I'd like to get into BF2, but if I can't manage CSS I am gonna get raped on BF2 . . .

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts
I dont know, but this post gets me to 1k :goodfinge

Oh sorry, good luck with all that stuff:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
What the heck "IS" a ping, anyways?
Don't worry about only killing ten and getting killed 80 x. I'm not much better. You gotta realize a lot of these punks, play this game 24/7. If you play that game 8 hours/day every day for the next year you might be able to improve by +1/2.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Ping is the time it takes for a packet of data to get to the server you're contacting and then from that server back to you...in a nutshell I guess.

You have satelite internet? That's the reason right there. Satellite internet is HORRIBLE for gaming, even worse than dialup sometimes, because the time it takes to get from your computer to the satelite on the side of your house to the satellite in orbit back down to the satellite at your ISP then to the server you're trying to play on then all the way back will absolutely murder you. Download speeds are exceptional because it's a direct path to you and it's quite a large stream, however trying to communicate to a gaming server (for instance) isn't a good idea. Read this, it's a satellite ISP (direcTV) and they basically tell you in plain print that it's not a good idea to get the service if you want to play online.
16) Q: What is transmission latency?
A: Latency refers to the amount of time it takes a packet of data to travel across a network. With satellite service, that data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half-second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server. Therefore, time-sensitive applications that require fractions-of-a-second user inputs (such as multi-player “twitch” games or real-time equities trading) are not recommended with DIRECWAY.

Here's the FAQ

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Yea dude, satelite sucks for gaming.

I run a 3 Meg cable line and usually outping most of the servers i am playing in.

When it comes to a choice between land lines and satelite i would always choose the land line. Is there any way you can run a DSL or a cable line? IF not go back to earthnet and get a highspeed dial up.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Ah, don't waste your money on an accellerator. All they do is load the text first and then load the pictures half-assed so it SEEMS you're going faster than you are. The FCC has limited the maximum connection rate at 53k in the U.S. You'll generally connect at 40 - 50k but that can be affected by several factors, most significantly your ISP standards. The max speed for dial-up is based on the modem. Most people have a 56k modem though, which is the fastest modem for dial-up. Many factors depend the fastest speed, but the absolute fastest speed possible for 56k modem is 53Kb or also around 6.6KB/second. Upload speed is capped at 33.6Kb or also 4.2KB/second. These are under best conditions, which most people won't get.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well great. A land line is a no-go, they won't bring one to where I live. Guess I'm fawked :toothless. Ah well, fawk it.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I played call of duty2 online last night and saw that I was pinged at about 70. So I guess when I am slow or jittery it is likely my computer... or I just need another drink :toothless

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
exactly right Ziggy.....i have charters 3mb package but my ping is usually 30-50. But i see alot of Cali guys and servers with pings in the Teens. No wonder they kill me everytime

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
you should average about 100-250 hispeed net even on satilite (with that being on at max load times and with other people downloadin in your house)

i made a lil pic in pshop (not the best skills)

Click Here to goto it (its 1280x1024)

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I've read that 150 is "acceptable", is that possible on my current satillite connection? Anything I can tweak or play with to get lower ping rates?

I have only been on once, so it could possibly be a fluke . . .

The game was playable, I mean I died a shit-load and things were kinda crappy, but I enjoyed it when I wasn't getting kicked off :toothless It never really jsut slowed down and died, even when I thought higher ping was better and I wandered into some 1500+ servers :brownbag

Thanks for the pic drizz, I'll look that up and tell you what my best is.

EDIT: none are under 350 :toothless

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Hopper said:
So, I've read that 150 is "acceptable", is that possible on my current satillite connection? Anything I can tweak or play with to get lower ping rates?

I have only been on once, so it could possibly be a fluke . . .

The game was playable, I mean I died a shit-load and things were kinda crappy, but I enjoyed it when I wasn't getting kicked off :toothless It never really jsut slowed down and died, even when I thought higher ping was better and I wandered into some 1500+ servers :brownbag

Thanks for the pic drizz, I'll look that up and tell you what my best is.

EDIT: none are under 350 :toothless
It'd be hard-pressed to get such a "low" rate from satellite internet. I've never had to deal with it but I know you won't be happy with online gaming. Sorry to say, but I feel yeh, I can't get anything but dailup out here. (Well, one other ISP sells wireless internet but about 6 months ago I had them and they SUCKED. Well, a few of my friends have it and say it's fast again so we'll see. For now though I have to stay with dialup.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
satilate can very, it aint the best for gaming, if you could get a fractional T1 line installed about $300 amonth or so.

You can optimize your computer to deal the hispeed net, run a speed test at

http://bos.speakeasy.net (will redirect to the new site for speed test) then get back to us with those resualts, as it will tell us exactly your connection speed to the net

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
1289 download speed
520 upload speed

I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I beta-tested for Starband's satellite internet product...it sucked. When they say it is a high-speed internet connection, they are referring to "burst speed". That is when you download something common (such as yahoo) that the company has cached in the servers at their base station it will download at their burst speed. But when you download anything else such as streaming media or playing a game their servers then have to go out to the internet and retrieve the data and foreward it on to you...slooooowwww.....
The company I work for is considering selling the new WildBlue satellite internet but I'm still not convinced it is something we want to put our name on.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That speed test was in my favorites :toothless

Walt, :goodfinge

I got 511 kb/s up-load yesterday, but it was 284 today :cry: very little difference in pings . . .
108 kb/s up-load

Wildblue is what I have, it's just as fast in regualar web surfing as my friends regular land line DSL (he lives in town, I don't :toothless ) but I can score over 2000 on some servers and he gets about 300 at the very lowest . . .

As far as just surfing the web, WildBlue is terrific, I don't have to wait on much of anything and it downloads like a raped ape.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Hey aww what prog is that you are running with your games? Haven't seen that before. I just use Xfire and work with it

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Hopper... :histerica :histerica :histerica

maybe you got too much running in the backround. press alt ctrl delete and see if there are any programs running that don't need to. I got lots of crap running on the backround, but I'm afraid of shutting something down that will damage my computer. Someone else may be able to help you with that.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
its acceptable to have 50-60 processes running, thats for windows xp pro maintained install

laptop install its around 30 process, and thats maintained

1 - 20 of 21 Posts