Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Pinion brakes are illegal on road in most (if not all) places. Anything can be done with fab work but back to being legal. And safe. You break and axle and well you won't have brakes with an open diff. Pinion brakes work better that disk because of MA with the gears.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I have been thinking about figuring something out to use a pinion break as an emergency/parking brake. Not as a replacement to rear disks/drums, but in addition too.

Any chance anyone know of the legality of this? Or of anyone who has done it with a 1356 t-case?

Sorry to hijack, but it is kinda related......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its perfectly legal as a parking brake. A lot of vehicles come factory with this style parking brake. Most medium duty trucks have them mounted on the back of the transmission.

·
Registered
124 Posts
how do Pinion brakes compare to disc brakes, can pinion breaks be mounted on any type of axles?
To answer your question a: I have never seen side buy side comparison same truck axle ect with a pinion set up compared to factory so idk. b: pinion brakes can be mounted on anything with a pinion and usually use disc brake parts.

I have seen them on many off road only rigs on rockwells and on the rear of a dirt drag truck with a 14 bolt. Most of the time folks go to pinion brakes to save weight.

bigbrownbear I saw a truck in Petersons 4 wheel and off road that had a disc set up behind the transfer case for parking. My dad had a M37 that had a drum (i think) parking brake between the tranny and divorced t-case.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
IIRC they sell a kit for a NP205, but I have never seen anything for a bw1356. I am sure it could be made to work, but it about 100th on the priority list (Gotta finish collecting parts for the sas, and finish the actual sas first.....).

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Rockford would be the guy to ask, pretty sure he has a huge on his monster bronco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts