Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear diff. overhauled about 9,000 miles ago at a shop. While driving, 3 teeth on the pinion gear broke puncturing a hole in the rear diff. cover. When i originally had it rebuilt 9,000 miles ago I was told that he put in YUKON 4:56 gears, ford trac lok, and a new ring tone gear. Found out that the gears are not yukon and appear to be some generic brand. The mechanic that is working on it now is ford ASE. He said that there was too much back lash and the guy that installed it didn't even use any shims on the pinion gear. The guy also used the wrong bolts. The bolt heads were too small and grooved the hell out of the carrier so now i need a new carrier to get the proper torque. Anyway....is this something I should pursue to get all or some of my money reimbursed for it being rebuilt again??? I am out of town right now so it's not like I could have taken it back to this guy. This is costing me about 950 to get it rebuilt again. A new axle shaft is included in this price.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
19,707 Posts
If you have documentation from BOTH mechanics, and some time/money to invest in suing the guy, go for it. But it's likely to cost you more in legal fees than you'll win. :shrug Maybe you'll get lucky & the first guy will just cough up the money without a lawsuit.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
It definitely sounds worthwhile to pursue. Make sure you keep all the damaged parts that are removed and get something from the current mechanic stating that those were removed and they are not what you were told. Court costs for small claims court shouldn't be too much and you should be able to recoup those also(if you win). You may even be able to get the money out of him with the threat of a law suit and bad publicity. Make sure he knows you have the old parts and a letter from the current mechanic stating that you got screwed initially. I dealt with an ex-landlord's lawyer before who was trying to screw me because I refused to pay my rent the last couple months I was there, for good reason(the fuel oil tank overflowed in the basement due to improper venting, ruining a lot of my stuff down there and smelling up the house for weeks). He wouldn't do anything about it so I stopped paying rent and started looking for a new place to live. I didn't bother getting my own lawyer I just told his lawyer the facts and that I wasn't paying him a dime and if he persued it I would file a counter suit. He tried telling me that no judge would rule in my favor but I never heard another word from him after that meeting.

Sorry off topic, just trying to show an example of how you can get what you want if you say the right things and have documentation.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
I would first start with talking to the original mechanic, face to face. If he doesn't refund all your money, then report him to the BBB and/or look into taking him to small claims court and try to get your money back.

You'll need to check with the local laws, but depending on the $$$$ amount, you should be able to take the first mechanic to small claims court where a laywer is generally not needed. The problem with most small claims courts is it's easy to get a judgement, but can be difficult or immpossible to collect. Usually the limit for small claims court is either $2500 or $5000, but check with the county court house in the county where the business is located. Oh yeah, since you were out of town, you should be able to add reasonable expenses for staying at a motel/hotel while you had it fixed. Sometimes the county offers free legal advice, check that as well.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
unixdude said:
I would first start with talking to the original mechanic, face to face. If he doesn't refund all your money, then report him to the BBB and/or look into taking him to small claims court and try to get your money back.

You'll need to check with the local laws, but depending on the $$$$ amount, you should be able to take the first mechanic to small claims court where a laywer is generally not needed. The problem with most small claims courts is it's easy to get a judgement, but can be difficult or immpossible to collect. Usually the limit for small claims court is either $2500 or $5000, but check with the county court house in the county where the business is located. Oh yeah, since you were out of town, you should be able to add reasonable expenses for staying at a motel/hotel while you had it fixed. Sometimes the county offers free legal advice, check that as well.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
:stupid

If that doesn't work, you can always ask him what his insurance rates are and ask him if it is worth replacing several plate glass woindows in his shop over the next year. Just making conversation...:brownbag

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
yukon are generic gears.

yukon doesnt really make anything of their own. they buy stuff from other people with no name brand on it, and rebadge it as their own. whoever they can get the stuff cheaper from, is who they get it from. thats why their stuff is sometimes inconsistant.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Regardless of weather they are a name brand or not, damage like that after only 9000 miles is just unacceptable and if this guy that installed it has even a shred of integrity, he will make it right.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
make him install a 10.25 w/ a detroit and 4.56's

and then piss on his dog

definatly pursue it

DC
If he pisses on the guys dog......I hope the dog bites his johnson off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts