Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a lot of you know quite a bit about firearms so i thought i would ask your opinion. I'm looking for a pistol to concealed carry but i am a fairly small frame guy. (5'6", 135lbs.) I've been looking at both the S&W 4513TSW and S&W 6906 and was wondering which would be a better choice to carry. I'm not real worried about the kick from the .45 so thats not an issue. I'm more worried about simplicity to conceal and dependability. Also, I'm partial to S&W but willing to look at other.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
If recoil is an issue with you due to being small or new to handguns, then the .38 would be a better choice. Get a laser-sight grip and practice with the lightest loads you can find. You can always carry with a heavier load with hollow-points. Iv'e always preferred the 9mm Luger over the .45 cal, both for the lighter recoil and availabilty of bullets. I have a semi-auto Star Interarms FierStar in 9mm, but they also make one in .45 cal in the same 7-shot size. JSM84

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recoil isn't a real big issue. I currently shoot a S&W 4506-1 but its too long to carry. And i also own two Mosin Nagants which seem to like to kick a bit.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
.40 cal's

Taurus PT-140 Millennium and Glock 27.

Love them both.

Just got a holster made to conceal my fiddy cal. don't think i will ever carry it though.

·
Fullsize Member
4,167 Posts
if you want dependability, revolver, and a 38 snub conceals real nice, revolvers are usually less expensive too, and for the fact of less rounds, carry 3 or 4 of em:goodfinge

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mind carrying a 9mm but since i already have a .45 it would just be easier for me to only have to buy one type of ammo.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I don't mind carrying a 9mm but since i already have a .45 it would just be easier for me to only have to buy one type of ammo.
That's kind of a short sighted way to look at it. Larger caliber pistols are always physically larger than their smaller caliber counterparts, and that makes them harder to conceal. There have been many, many people who bought large caliber pistols to carry concealed, and then stopped carrying them because they were too bulky. When you look at it in that light the argument of only having to buy one caliber of ammunition seems a little silly. The old saw about a .22 in the hand being better than a .45 left in the safe is definitely true. That said, I carry a .357 Sig, which is dimensionally identical to a .40. Frankly I wouldn't mind getting a smaller pistol to carry. I've been considering picking up a Beretta model 84 which is a little smaller.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i like that walter, i have a p99qa in 40s&w and love it, but seeing as it will be staying with my dad here in nj i'll be looking for a carry pistol after i gain residence and a ccw in az

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i despise walther (well okay just the ppk)
S&W is a great manufacturer
for easy to conceal possibly look into kel tec, i've heard nothing but good about them

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
how about a 1911 compact? i know Springfield and Kimber make some tiny ones. somethin to consider if you want a .45.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i despise walther (well okay just the ppk)
S&W is a great manufacturer
for easy to conceal possibly look into kel tec, i've heard nothing but good about them
ok you do know that U.S. versions of the walther are made by S&W and are almost identical to there line? P99 series= sw990 series.

on another note when talking caliber I know it's nice to only buy one type of ammo but the overall choice for concealed carry is .40 cal it has the best knock down power and is just a bit bigger then 9mm so you can still get a 9 or 10 round clip for a concealed carry pistol. A friend of mine carries off duty and he went with the .40 cal glock 27 sub compact with 11 round clips (they come stock with 9round). all the reasearch he did came up with the .40 cal as haveing the best konck down power for self defence. the .45 is bigger but slower so the actual impact power isn't as great.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Dimensionally, the 4513 TSW and 6906 are very similar, so it comes down to the old argument of "do you want 6+1 rounds of .45 acp or 12+1 rounds of 9mm"? Then again, you could split the difference with something like a S&W 4013 TSW with 8+1 rounds of .40 S&W.

Along with a multitude of compact 1911's, like USMCFord suggests, pistols like the Glock 30, Sig P220 Compact, H&K USP Compact and Kahr PM 4543 and CW 4543 fall into the compact .45 ACP pistol category, so there's no shortage of quality handguns if your heart is set on a .45. If you want to go with a 9mm or a .40 S&W then you'll have even more choices.

As far as which caliber has the most "stopping power", modern bullet design has closed the gap between 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP to almost negligable differences. A Cor-Bon 115 gr. 9mm +P round will destroy a human heart just about as effectively as a Hydra-Shok .45 ACP will, but you certainly can't go wrong with a "bigger is better" philosophy.

Just make sure you pick a gun that fits your hand and is easy for you to conceal...try out as many different models as you can. :thumbup

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not completely set on the .45ACP round, I've shot .40's, 9mm's and .380's and just like the feel of the .45 the best. This doesn't mean i wont carry anything else, just personal preference. I'm looking at these two models because I like S&W, they look like my 4506-1 but smaller, and i can get a really good deal on them. As far as a revolver is concerned, i really don't like shooting them. And as for Capacity. If i need more than 6+1, i shouldn't be carrying.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
I'm not completely set on the .45ACP round, I've shot .40's, 9mm's and .380's and just like the feel of the .45 the best. This doesn't mean i wont carry anything else, just personal preference. I'm looking at these two models because I like S&W, they look like my 4506-1 but smaller, and i can get a really good deal on them. As far as a revolver is concerned, i really don't like shooting them. And as for Capacity. If i need more than 6+1, i shouldn't be carrying.
I would consider a .380 ACP as a bare minimum for a defensive round, but a Beretta 84F holds 13+1 so that wouldn't be too bad I suppose (my wife has one).

All of the S&W 3rd gen auto pistols have the same controls, so that's actually a very logical choice for a carry gun if you already have a 4506 (which I'll be happy to take off your hands if you'd like). :toothless

As far as needing only six rounds...what if you run into three bad guys? I personally prefer to have enough rounds to make sure everyone gets seconds and have ammo left over. :thumbup

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
My wife is getting her CWP and we just bought her a Ruger .38 revolver that will also shoot .357.......she prefers shooting the .357 out of it.

She is about your size and its easy to conceal. It is a little to small of a frame for me but it fits her perfectly.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would find a older S&W model 19, or 66 snub. Pratice with 38's and carry mangums in it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts