Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 89 bronco 351W and have some terrible blow by. There is a ridiculous amount of oil spewing from the breather filter if the rpms get anywhere above maybe 1500. I've taken some opinions and done some research and this seems to be a typical sign of piston rings needing replacement.

My question to FSB is, what are the chances of me being able to get the pistons out to replace the rings if I leave the engine inside the truck. My mechanic and I have looked closely at it and believe that we can get the oil pan out if we remove the exhaust. OPINIONS PLEASE..

thanks for the help,
justin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely know that it would be easier with the engine out, but I'm working with a relatively short time frame. The earliest the engine can come out would be mid-November, and I'm gonna go ahead and bet that driving at least 100 miles per week with the piston rings bad isn't too healthy.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
j_parnin55, ya your right driving that manymiles on a worn out motor isnt good.... But Im willin to bet a set of new rings in a worn cylinder wont seat by November....

I suggest addin some lucas to your oil change real soon and get your ducks in a row until you can pull the engine and rebuild it right. This way your goin to get atleast another 80 90k miles out of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning a full rebuild in maybe February, I just need it to get by until then... and I'm hoping for more than 80k or 90k more miles after the rebuild lol.

OR

Maybe buying an engine from Autozone and swapping them out... I think that would be a more reliable and longer lasting alternative, in addition to requiring a little less time.

·
4:20 Enthusiast!
3,277 Posts
Lucas is goooooood!lol

Any good used engines around?
I pulled one from a jy and its been great. That was ten or so years ago now.I know i got lucky that time.lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wilmington Auto Salvage right here around where I am doesn't have one, but I've purchased a used engine before (78 model 5.2L 318 CI dodge engine) and that was the worst decision I've ever made. I honestly think I would rather go with one from Autozone. Its $1800 shipped to my front door but that includes the $350 core charge. At least there the whole bottom end and a portion of the top end is already assembled and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I definitely know that it would be easier with the engine out, but I'm working with a relatively short time frame. The earliest the engine can come out would be mid-November, and I'm gonna go ahead and bet that driving at least 100 miles per week with the piston rings bad isn't too healthy.
just rering-ing the a engine is usually not a good deal. There was a member on her who just tried to do some cost saving repairs to his engine and well he blew the rods out the side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just rering-ing the a engine is usually not a good deal. There was a member on her who just tried to do some cost saving repairs to his engine and well he blew the rods out the side.
pro move.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Before you do all of that, have you checked to see that your PCV system is working properly? Usually when you have oil coming out your breather it means that too much pressure in the crankcase is forcing it out. Bad rings would be pushing the oil into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust not the breather.

·
Man of endless projects
9,491 Posts
Lucas is goooooood!lol
it is? i put in my 88's original 302 and it went from an engine with some blowby, low oil pressure but no smoke into a engine with even more blowby, a smokescreen equivelent to Seafoam but blue, and still low oil pressure.

yep thats me lol. i would of recommended doing the bearings while you have to undo the bearings anyways HOWEVER you dont wanna end up like me and throwing a rod. tho the engine had great oil pressure after and i had it idleing 30 straight minutes no problems, starting it back up somereason made it throw a rod

try and find a junkyard motor, rebuild it and do the swap ASAP before the current motor gives in to its pain. itll probably be cheaper getting it bored and rebuilt than a crate motor

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before you do all of that, have you checked to see that your PCV system is working properly? Usually when you have oil coming out your breather it means that too much pressure in the crankcase is forcing it out. Bad rings would be pushing the oil into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust not the breather.
I'm wondering the same thing as ehummelman. Why would blowback threw the breather indicate poor rings? Have you done a dry or wet compression test?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
when piston rings get worn they have excessive blow by. This is common for those who have never heard of it before.

·
Registered
263 Posts
when piston rings get worn they have excessive blow by. This is common for those who have never heard of it before.
Let me correct my statement. :doh0715: "Why would blowback threw the breather only indicate poor rings?

Which is why I asked about checking compression. Before I made plans to pull an engine, I think I'd do one.;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Let me correct my statement. :doh0715: "Why would blowback thru the breather only indicate poor rings?

Which is why I asked about checking compression. Before I made plans to pull an engine, I think I'd do one.;)

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Let me correct my statement. :doh0715: "Why would blowback thru the breather only indicate poor rings?

because if it's the valves that are leaking, the blowby isn't going to into the pcv system and create blowby.

the ONLY way blowby can physically get into the crankcase/pcv system is via bad rings. period. there is no other possible way.

if the valves leak, the "blowby" will either go out the intake, or out the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
:stupid

1 - 18 of 18 Posts