Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im putting a cam and new timing chain in my 400 now when u line up the center punch marks is the number one piston suppose to be on top by the heads or on bottom by the crank this is the first complete motor i have built myself have installed a few long blocks but never rebuilt a whole motor so any suggestions will be helpfull thanxsguys

·
Registered
151 Posts
Number one cylinder should b at top dead center, once u have that timing chain gears should have two dimples that line up with each other if I'm thinking correctly. Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong I haven't put a chain in one in quiet a while.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,080 Posts
Yup, #1 piston at the top. If you draw a straight line thru the centers of the camshaft & crankshaft, the center punch marks should be on that line, in between them (Crankshaft sprocket mark is up, camshaft sprocket mark is down).

Like this:
(Click the thumbnail for a bigger pic, click it again for a giant pic)

·
Registered
101 Posts
"Top dead center" means the # 1 cylinder (the cylinder with connecting rod closest to front of engine) is at the very top and center of it's stroke. Both valves for that cylinder are closed also; Meaning the lifters for that #1 cylinder should be riding on the base circle of the camshaft lobe (low spot, no lift).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okcool guys thats how i set it i just wanted to make sure it was right before i finished putting it together

1 - 5 of 5 Posts