Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all the different type of pistons. flat tops with or with out valve reliefs, dish and dome. What is the desired piston? What is the one you want to stay away from?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also see you either buy some that are 50-100 dollars or ones that are $300-700 bucks. This certain block wont probably ever see more then 350 horse power. So would it really be worth spending the extra money?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
what compression are you looking for? whats your valve lift?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its stock heads and cam for now. I am going to eventually replace the heads. I just want to use everything i can right now that way it will be running sooner. That way i can get it to the shop i work at. It needs to be bored so i am going to go ahead and bore it out .30 over. .20 would do the job but I'm not going to be doing another rebuild on this block. If it needs to be rebuilt again ill drop a big block in it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You want what ever pistons will give you the correct compression ratio with the heads/head gaskets your running. Also you want enough valve relef to clear the cam/valves you are running.

·
Registered
897 Posts
its stock heads and cam for now. I am going to eventually replace the heads. I just want to use everything i can right now that way it will be running sooner. That way i can get it to the shop i work at. It needs to be bored so i am going to go ahead and bore it out .30 over. .20 would do the job but I'm not going to be doing another rebuild on this block. If it needs to be rebuilt again ill drop a big block in it.
I would probably look for a stock replacement for a 5.0HO

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK if i do go with stock heads or and stock cam shaft what pistons should i go with. Dish dome or flat. I see that the replacement from autozone is a flat top with two valve reliefs. Should i go with the same style or would it benefit me to go to dish?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,128 Posts
If your rebuilding your 351 then you'll want the dished pistons as the flat top pistons will bring your compression up to about 10 to 1 or slightly higher, and that means paying more at the pump for midgrade or premium gas. And at todays prices that means you better have FAT pockets.:beer

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats fine. i dont mind that. If i do that will i need a tune?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sorry forget my rec. I thought you had a 5.0L Sorry.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your rebuilding your 351 then you'll want the dished pistons as the flat top pistons will bring your compression up to about 10 to 1 or slightly higher, and that means paying more at the pump for midgrade or premium gas. And at todays prices that means you better have FAT pockets.:beer
the stock ones are a flat top with a deep recess. So if anything the dish would raise my compression wouldnt it?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
the stock ones are a flat top with a deep recess. So if anything the dish would raise my compression wouldnt it?
??..the 'deep recess' IS the dish referred to in previous post. Flat tops have only the crescent shaped reliefs (4) required for the valve clearance.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i should go with dish pistons with two valve reliefs correct? sorry for the redundancy its just everybody i ask in person is giving me the run around

·
Registered
170 Posts
look at kieth black or sliv-o-lite

I found a nice set of cast hypereutectic pistons with valve reliefs for 220 I think . I used them in my last 351windsor. Whats nice about them is they have a anti friction coating on the skirt .

I wound up with about 9.4 to 1 compression .

You might give them a call they sell the same piston without the coating too but the coating only added about $4 a piston I think. It helps with the scuffing and skirt cracking issues that the windsors are prone too.

I can't find the slip or I'd give you the part number

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are hypereutectic pistons the ones everybody want? I thought forged was the way to go

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Are hypereutectic pistons the ones everybody want? I thought forged was the way to go
Have you talked to an engine builder yet? Or even started by getting a book on building an engine? No doubt there's quite a few guys on here that know what they're doing, but you should be reading a book to learn about this kind of stuff from the ground up.

The Hyp pistons are fine for applications up to a certain point... when you start considering nitrous and blowers and such, that's when you really should be looking at forged internals. tmwalmart is using hyp pistons in her 393 stroker, and for her build, is more then enough for what she wants to do. For my 393 stroker, I plan on a blower in it's future, and I'll be using all forged internals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts