Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this pass week I've been redoing my front end suspension. I got my old pitman arm off in about ten minutes and now I'm having a problem getting my new one on. I checked to make sure it was the right one and it a twin to the old besides all the dirt and oil. to install the new one I've just been tightening the nut on thinking that will push the new one on? any help on this would be really appreciated. i need to have this done by Sunday morning to. thanks again

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i can only get like 1/4 of the way on then it stops moving. I've even been using are air impact gun

·
Registered
195 Posts
Indeed they are keyed so its almost impossible to not line it up correctly.

To put mine on I used the tactic that you are thinking of, which is torquing the nut and having it seat the pitman arm for me. Ive done this method twice now thanks to the shitty power steering boxes that autozone sells.

Do not use a hammer because you run the risk of damaging the threads on the gear box as well as the internal components.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
It may look to be the twin but have you taken a caliper to the splined areas on each to verify they are indeed the exact same? A few hundreths smaller (and probably meant for something else) and there is going to be no way the new one will go on all the way. Also a little antiseize lube so it's easy if it ever needs to come off again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts