Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Here's a tad shallower at 0.022"

Again, this is going much better than the 9". Trying to decide between these two depths. The 0.022'" looks good but the coast side looks like it's creeping right up on the crown.

What do you think between these two?

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Ugghhhh.......

So frustrated right now!!

Got the Dana 44 all set up.
Pinion depth and preload set.
Backspacing properly set.
Everything looked good.

I added about 0.003" to each side to set the case preload and then really had to tap it a few times to get the carrier to slide in. (This is with the setup bearings, which are Timken 25590s). Felt really snug going in and all was well. I had to work the carrier out of the case with a prybar, and it took some effort.

Decided it was finally time to put it all together and with the same shims, pulled off the setup bearing and pressed on my final, new bearings. Which are again Timken 25590s.
Went to put it in the case and... I CAN SLIDE THE CARRIER IN BY HAND.

There is ZERO preload on the case. None. I can literally slide it in and out freely.

My only guess is that pressing on the bearings compressed the shims closer together just enough.

Now, I can't get the new bearings off, and have already ruined the shims trying. They simply won't budge, and I don't have the proper layout on my press to get the carrier into the press.

I'm either going to need to pay someone to press them off, or cut them off and start over. Even then, how I account for this?? The settings were good with the setup bearings but not with the finals. I can't keep pressing them on and hoping they're good. That's insanity.

Nothing like tripping and breaking your leg at the finish line. I literally only needed to torque the bearing caps and I'd be installing it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Well, disaster averted.
I called around and found that there is a driveline shop about 2 minutes from my house. The guy there just told me to bring it down and zipped the bearings off for me for free. He'd have finished setting it up but had to finish a project by the end of the day. Pretty cool shop. They work on big semi stuff, which I'd never seen up close before.
Transmissions bigger than me, and one of the ring and pinions had to have been a good foot and a half in diameter.

I was also talking to him about the patterns and he was saying that it's not nearly as important with today's gears. Anyone who fights and fights to get it "perfect" is just wasting their time, as modern designs are much more lenient.
I'll take that as good advice from a guy who sets up ring and pinions for semis all day.

Either way, I put a few extra shims, crossed my fingers, and pressed it back down. I overshot by a small amount as it was a bit tight getting it back into the case (definitely more than a few whacks with the deadblow hammer) but overall not too bad. After everything was all tightened down and torqued, both the Ford 9" and the Dana 44 required 30 in/lbs to rotate the pinion (with the carrier installed).

I'm calling it good on both of them and am going to start the reinstall.

Learned a ton on this!

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Oh!

I have the Dana 44 in the Bronco and test fitted the Dana 50 inner shaft to see what I'd have to grind.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I have room to spare. I could spin it freely and there was a good inch clearance on all sides. Dunno! I even double checked that I didn't accidentally grab the Dana 44 arm, but it's the 50.

So, no grinding required. I'll grab pics tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Just to finish up on this.
So, the Dana 50 shaft was extremely easy to install. I did manage to get it to hit the frame ever so slightly if I pointed the outer joint upward. It was an angle that was nearly impossible, but might happen at an extreme angle while hitting a bump, and jumping the Bronco, so I figured I'd plan ahead. Never know.

Even this was probably more material than I really needed to remove.

Either way, front end is all buttoned up, and am now in the middle of swapping the rear axle.

241 - 245 of 245 Posts