Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,872 Posts
Yes, the $200.00:p:p

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
836 Posts
If something stupid happens like an axle bearing goes out and eats into the shaft, you aren’t finding a 35 spline 9” shaft in a junkyard.... a 31 spline 9” shaft you might find in a junkyard. But if you stay 8.8 you can’t throw a rock in a junkyard without hitting something that has an 8.8 in it.
All the hardcore stuff I do, with lockers, 5.13’s, dual cases, and aired down 37’s, I think I’ve only broken 2 31 spline shafts. You will never break one

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
250 Posts
I like my 4.56/true trac setup. I have some kind of locker in front as well. No complaints, I got the Bronco as a daily driver, and have put about 5,000 miles on it since December. I move briskly in the fast lane, I wouldn't want any taller gears. As far as offroad, the truetrac never gave me issues, if a tire spun, all four were spinning. The rig will drift easily in the rain and absolutely spins both tires as long as they're on the ground. I highly reccomend this configuration for everything besides rock crawling.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,687 Posts
Guess I'll add my opinion! I say go with Truetracs and 4.10 gears.

I have Motive gears in my Bronco and according to the quote on gears that @cobrajoe posted I have the "Black Box" economy gears. Woo! They have been fine so far with what I've been doing. They were whiny for the first tank of gas I drove on them as they were breaking in, especially at higher speeds, but now they are quiet. As a lot of people have mentioned in various gear threads, having the gears properly set up is a lot more important than having the most top of the line stuff.

I can't comment much on the spline counts as I haven't used anything other than 31's, nor have I had an 8.8. My Bronco has 31's in it's 9", but I haven't really stressed it that much. My old F-150 that had a 425+ hp 460 had the factory 9" in it that I never did anything to the whole time I owned it (oil change, gear change, nothing) and I did burnouts and all sorts of stupid stuff with it and I never had a problem with the rear end. Just make sure that whatever spline count you go with matches your Truetrac.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
I've run motive gears in everything I've swapped over. Never had an issue.

Ditto on the 35 splines. You dont need em. Just extra hassle.

The only advantage I see to the 9" is as Joe said a while back. Ease of swapping ratios. Now lets say you retain the 3.55s. But maybe you wanna go to moab and crawl some crazy stuff. You could 'easily' swap both front and rear third members out for spares with 4.88s. No setup required

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. And I agree on the 35 spline. I just like to beef things up when I can, but I do agree it's overkill.

I think I'm sold on TrueTrac front and rear. That just seems like the way to go for what I do and what I use my Bronco for. I also think I'm sold on the 4.10s. :D I don't want anything more aggressive than that as it's going to start eating into my gas mileage too much.

It already does quite well with the 3.55s. They're a very nice balance of economy and performance, so 4.10s are already going to be a major boost. Anything more than that would be too much for me, and I think I'd be uncomfortable with the RPMs on the freeway, and probably also push it out past its power band.

The idea of being able to swap gear ratios is cool and all, but totally not for me. I like my Bronco to be ready to go for anything at a moment's notice.

Question on the 8.8. I'm seeing a very definitive line on the axles. On every site I look at, the axles specifically state that they're either an '83 - '86, or an '87+
However, all the specs are the same and I can find no discernible difference.

What's the difference? There appears to only be an "HD" version for the 87+ but obviously having an '85 would mean I currently have the 83-86 axles. Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I know the part# changed in '87, but they are the same length and appear to take the same bearings. I cannot find any real difference- thought maybe the metallurgy might have changed, but can't find any difference except the part # change.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. And I agree on the 35 spline. I just like to beef things up when I can, but I do agree it's overkill.

I think I'm sold on TrueTrac front and rear. That just seems like the way to go for what I do and what I use my Bronco for. I also think I'm sold on the 4.10s. :D I don't want anything more aggressive than that as it's going to start eating into my gas mileage too much.

It already does quite well with the 3.55s. They're a very nice balance of economy and performance, so 4.10s are already going to be a major boost. Anything more than that would be too much for me, and I think I'd be uncomfortable with the RPMs on the freeway, and probably also push it out past its power band.

The idea of being able to swap gear ratios is cool and all, but totally not for me. I like my Bronco to be ready to go for anything at a moment's notice.

Question on the 8.8. I'm seeing a very definitive line on the axles. On every site I look at, the axles specifically state that they're either an '83 - '86, or an '87+
However, all the specs are the same and I can find no discernible difference.

What's the difference? There appears to only be an "HD" version for the 87+ but obviously having an '85 would mean I currently have the 83-86 axles. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I'm speculating here, but it may have to do with the change in carriers to accept a tone ring for RABS and later, the VSS. Remember that 83-86 Ford (Sterling) housing castings for the 8.8 do not have the provisions for a VSS or the protective ears.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
250 Posts
If you're going with 4:10's, you may be able to find an affordable used carrier from a dana 44hd/50 in an F250 if you can live without a front traction aid, or if you will settle for a lunchbox locker.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That would make sense on the axle shafts, but the price says differently.
The 87-96 set is $159.00
The 83-86 set is $249.00

That's a hefty difference for a tone ring. I don't see any year differences noted for the carriers.
I'm struggling to find any information about it online anywhere.
Just that numerous sites that sell shafts either have an 83-86 and an 87+, or they just have the 87+, and say to use the VIN to verify. Heavy duty axles only seem to be available in the 87+. On the flipside, summitracing only lists 83-86 axle shafts, but nothing for 87+.

I'd never heard about there being any differences, so this is new to me.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,994 Posts
That would make sense on the axle shafts, but the price says differently.
The 87-96 set is $159.00
The 83-86 set is $249.00

That's a hefty difference for a tone ring. I don't see any year differences noted for the carriers.
I'm struggling to find any information about it online anywhere.
Just that numerous sites that sell shafts either have an 83-86 and an 87+, or they just have the 87+, and say to use the VIN to verify. Heavy duty axles only seem to be available in the 87+. On the flipside, summitracing only lists 83-86 axle shafts, but nothing for 87+.

I'd never heard about there being any differences, so this is new to me.
If I were REALLY bored, i could remove a shaft from my 85 axle and compare it to the two originals from my 94. If they are different, itd be good to know, since i carry 94 shafts as spares. @NickOille has more experience with axle shafts than anyone I know, maybe he would know?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
836 Posts
I dunno on the difference on 83-86 to 87-96 8.8’s. All the 8.8’s I’ve ever had were 87+

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If I were REALLY bored, i could remove a shaft from my 85 axle and compare it to the two originals from my 94. If they are different, itd be good to know, since i carry 94 shafts as spares. @NickOille has more experience with axle shafts than anyone I know, maybe he would know?
Considering the whole quarantine thing, being REALLY bored is totally plausible right now. :D

I dunno on the difference on 83-86 to 87-96 8.8’s. All the 8.8’s I’ve ever had were 87+
But we were counting on you. :D

I really find it strange that everywhere you look, there's a very definitive line. But none of the carriers (original or aftermarket) really say what year they're for, or what axles they require. If it was such a big issue, wouldn't the carrier need to specify? And if it wasn't a big issue, wouldn't there just be one axle? Odd.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,994 Posts
Damnit Nick, we were counting on you! Lol

(Un)Fortunately, I've been going to work, so spare time is still limited. Too bad we arent talking full float axles, you can pull a shaft in those in like 2 minutes! If you wanted to pull one of yours... I could compare measurements on my 94s. You have a pair of calipers right?

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This might make up my mind for me:

This place is 9 miles from my house and currently has a 4.11 9" Motive Gear for $100.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Damnit Nick, we were counting on you! Lol

(Un)Fortunately, I've been going to work, so spare time is still limited. Too bad we arent talking full float axles, you can pull a shaft in those in like 2 minutes! If you wanted to pull one of yours... I could compare measurements on my 94s. You have a pair of calipers right?
I do. Even if I go with the 9", it might be worth doing just to get to the bottom of this and see what the deal is.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This might shed some light on it.
This is that Dutchman's site's chart for their axles:

The "pilot" measurement for the 83-86 is 2.875" whereas it's 3.440" for the 87-96.
Is that a pilot hole in the axle housing itself?

If that's the case, that'd explain why the carriers don't say anything. They don't care.
It's the axle housing that's different.

So, Sam, I'm not sure those 94 axles will fit into your 85!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,994 Posts
This might make up my mind for me:

This place is 9 miles from my house and currently has a 4.11 9" Motive Gear for $100.

Looks like a nice place! I checked a couple other semi-local to you places. Ventures truck parts in Ogden, UT has nothing at the moment. I got my d50 stub shaft from them. Torque King 4x4 in Montana, has all sorts of seals and bearings for the rear axles. For the ttb, they stock almost everything. I've gotten ZF5 parts from them.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,994 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,715 Posts
Dutchman makes good stuff, would not hesitate to use anything from them.
I am running Moser, but likewise they are only 2 hours from me, so made sense.
Also I had issues with both sets of rear seals I got from JBG one set with axles and one set as replacements. They all leaked (9" axle). I replaced them with SKF (good blue ones from Napa, you'll know by price differance) and no issues since.

21 - 40 of 245 Posts