Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Good to know on the pilot. So you really just need to change your drum if you go with the 87+?

That seems like a pretty easy work around.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
This might shed some light on it.
This is that Dutchman's site's chart for their axles:

The "pilot" measurement for the 83-86 is 2.875" whereas it's 3.440" for the 87-96.
Is that a pilot hole in the axle housing itself?

If that's the case, that'd explain why the carriers don't say anything. They don't care.
It's the axle housing that's different.

So, Sam, I'm not sure those 94 axles will fit into your 85!

Mystery solved! should maybe that post go in the Tech Info thread?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
836 Posts
Sweet. We were all thinking about the other end of the axle shaft. I can measure my buddy’s 84 with an 8.8 to verify the pilot difference, that is easy, no dis-assembly required

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,875 Posts
Really? ...a $100???? I can't even go out for dinner with my wife for $100, so grab them and go 9"
But seriously, I can't go out and eat with my wife for a hundred bucks, you know, with this whole COVID-19 thing going on. OOooopppps sorry, wrong thread. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Got'm! :D

Their website specifically said cash only, and there was no tax. So five 20s and they were mine! On top of that, I finally got around to taking the two catalytic converters that I pulled off of the '85 when I took the original 302 out down to the recycle center. I got $80 for them. So, that worked out quite nice...

9 inch it is.

Now to get the front gears, the truetracs, and then figure out what tools I need to set gears (or find a buddy who has them).

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,875 Posts
You'll need access to a press and a dial indicator with a magnetic base. You can fab up a spanner wrench out of flatstock and a couple of bolts for the 9".
It's more work/harder, but you can get the Dana 44 apart with a couple of pry bars, although a case spreader makes it so much easier. (I have done it both ways)

You can hog out your old bearings and use them as set up bearings.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Cool. I have both a press (got it for Christmas) and a dial indicator with a magnetic base, so I'm set there.

Ouch, case spreaders are pricey!

Thought this was a pretty cool video. Granted, I don't have some of the tools required to make it.

As for online, I see them anywhere from about $200 -$400.
Then there's this one...

This one is decently priced too.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I don't think that case spreader would work, as there are no plug welds on the TTB. You may be able to modify it to work on the bolt holes like I did here:

This site stif blows, I tried to copy the image from my build thread but apparently I'm not allowed to edit more than 10 threads in 7 days!!! WTF???? So much for good grammar.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I don't think that case spreader would work, as there are no plug welds on the TTB. You may be able to modify it to work on the bolt holes like I did here:
Are you referring to the one in the YouTube video? Or the ones for sale?

This site stif blows, I tried to copy the image from my build thread but apparently I'm not allowed to edit more than 10 threads in 7 days!!! WTF???? So much for good grammar.
Is that your case spreader? Did you make/purchase it? And is that the front Dana 44?

Does the 9" need a case spreader? Or just the Dana 44?

Never used one, so I'm all in the learning phase right now.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,875 Posts
My spreader, usually used for a solid axle Dana.
You can see how I angled and used two bolts as "pins" to push against.
Not needed for a 9".
Check out my build thread, I'm no expert, but did both my nine and 44.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Any chance you recall whereabouts in the build you did the 9" and Dana 44?
I'd love to look through it all, but it's 30 pages. :D

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Here you go, starts on Page 16

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
836 Posts
Here’s the difference in 86-down vs 87 up 8.8 shafts, not that is really applies to this discussion anymore though....

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Here you go, starts on Page 16
Thank you! Looking through and reading it now.

Here’s the difference in 86-down vs 87 up 8.8 shafts, not that is really applies to this discussion anymore though....
View attachment 157618
View attachment 157619
That's perfect, and is really good info. I'm surprised they make such a big issue out of it. You think it'd be better information just to say you need to check your drums and wheels.

Thanks for confirming that, since it was definitely something that all had us scratching our heads. I'm sure it'll come up somewhere again in the future. Also, as pointed out, it'd be good to put in an FAQ or tech article sticky.

It's also good to know that for whoever has an 83-86 with an 8.8, worst case scenario if they need to switch, or go with HD axles, they may need to fiddle with the drums.

That'd be good to know if you, like @BigBlue 94, have some axles from an 87+ and need to use them on your 83-86... would you be able to get your brake drums on? Probably wouldn't even think about it until you're on the side of the road, get them installed, cover put back on, oil filled back up, and go to put the brakes on and suddenly.... crap!

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Not sure how far you went, but the 9" build starts on page 23

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,999 Posts
It's also good to know that for whoever has an 83-86 with an 8.8, worst case scenario if they need to switch, or go with HD axles, they may need to fiddle with the drums.

That'd be good to know if you, like @BigBlue 94, have some axles from an 87+ and need to use them on your 83-86... would you be able to get your brake drums on? Probably wouldn't even think about it until you're on the side of the road, get them installed, cover put back on, oil filled back up, and go to put the brakes on and suddenly.... crap!
Yeah that would've sucked on a hillside in Moab!

I wonder if the brake drums are different due to 87+ having ABS. There has to be a reason for the change.

Idk if anyone else looked at the crossover chart, but apparently one sides shaft of econoline 8.8s is interchangeable with one of ours. I dont recall the specifics

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Here's some pics from RockAuto:

1985 Drum:

1988 Drum:

That center hole is definitely different.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not sure how far you went, but the 9" build starts on page 23
Thanks. I started at page 16 and kept going until the end. :) Great information! Thanks for documenting it all.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Got the front gears ordered. SummitRacing price matched Amazon, so I got some Motive Gears 4.09s on the way for $150 shipped. :D

So far so good.

41 - 60 of 245 Posts