Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
i believe it's just called a spacer plate.. or a torque plate, or something.. but i'm not sure.. if you remove it you're torque converter may sit too deep in the trans. also you're starter might not line up quite right. the only reason i can see for its existance, is on manual trans cars, it might shield any main seal oil leakage from getting into the clutch.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Part number 6A373: Plate Assembly -- Engine Rear

Its purpose? I have a few theories, but none are guaranteed. The cast iron and aluminum expansion rates are different, so a little 'lubrication' is necessary. The rigid structures of the block and transmission casing need a little buffer or 'give' so that shocks aren't transmitted from one to the other. If a spacing requirement change is needed, the plate can be manufactured to meet the new specification.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe it's just called a spacer plate.. or a torque plate, or something.. but i'm not sure.. if you remove it you're torque converter may sit too deep in the trans. also you're starter might not line up quite right. the only reason i can see for its existance, is on manual trans cars, it might shield any main seal oil leakage from getting into the clutch.
Well I've heard it called a ton of different names, And I've never known the purpose i always just put them back in if they are there to start with. But now on my super duty apparently it got a little bent and the torque converter nuts are hitting it every so slightly and making very irritating noises. So if it is indeed used for spacing I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to take it out?

Maybe without it the torque converter would put to much force on the crank, if it didn't have any play or enough play? oh btw its on a 5.4 / 4r100

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part number 6A373: Plate Assembly -- Engine Rear

Its purpose? I have a few theories, but none are guaranteed. The cast iron and aluminum expansion rates are different, so a little 'lubrication' is necessary. The rigid structures of the block and transmission casing need a little buffer or 'give' so that shocks aren't transmitted from one to the other. If a spacing requirement change is needed, the plate can be manufactured to meet the new specification.
What engine trans combo is that a PN for? I just wanna know now, No one seems to be able to give a strait answer. Tomorrow I'm gonna call my buddy at ford.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can't you bend it back straight? maybe you'll need to buy a new one.
Well that's what I'm gonna try to do tomorrow, I had a buddy do the trans for me awhile back when i was to busy to do it myself and he was un-employed and needed to make some money. I guess I learned to do all my own work. :banghead

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
What engine trans combo is that a PN for?
All. Research how Ford's part numbering scheme works. You'll need a year, application, and revision code to get the entire correct number. Any Ford parts counterman should be able to help you find it.

Don't even think of removing the plate. If it's bent, replace it with a new one.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All. Research how Ford's part numbering scheme works. You'll need a year, application, and revision code to get the entire correct number. Any Ford parts counterman should be able to help you find it.

Don't even think of removing the plate. If it's bent, replace it with a new one.
I'll see how bad it is i got a parts buddy at ford, I was gonna call him tomorrow. This thread was more meant just to figure out exactly what it is and does...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just guessing on the year, but for a 2000-03 5.4 4r100 its XL3Z-7007-AA $23.32 list. There's plenty out there, you should be able to get one tomorrow.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just guessing on the year, but for a 2000-03 5.4 4r100 its XL3Z-7007-AA $23.32 list. There's plenty out there, you should be able to get one tomorrow.
Got one ordered from ford for $19, Should be in this afternoon. Going to go pull trans now. and btw its an 03

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Out of all the places i've worked, they had the best laid out partno system....

It is very simple, and you should learn it for your Broncos' sake....

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of all the places i've worked, they had the best laid out partno system....

It is very simple, and you should learn it for your Broncos' sake....
Its simpler to just make a phone call and talk to someone who's worked for ford for 35 years...

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
If it's bent, replace it with a new one.
Not where I work. That's what hammers and dollies are for. Sometimes just hammers. Missed two bolts securing one to a Heep trans; it ended up with the two bolts ripped through the holes. Smacked the crap out of the metal to straighten it, then the two bolts got oversized washers. Fixed!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Its simpler to just make a phone call and talk to someone who's worked for ford for 35 years...
God forbid any American would want to learn anything. :toothless

Not where I work. That's what hammers and dollies are for. Sometimes just hammers. Missed two bolts securing one to a Heep trans; it ended up with the two bolts ripped through the holes. Smacked the crap out of the metal to straighten it, then the two bolts got oversized washers. Fixed!
Remind me to never bring my Bronco to your workplace. :rofl:

j/k I know what you mean. I used to work for a shop that did that sort of thing, but then our clientèle wasn't exactly rich and/or famous.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
God forbid any American would want to learn anything. :toothless

Remind me to never bring my Bronco to your workplace. :rofl:

j/k I know what you mean. I used to work for a shop that did that sort of thing, but then our clientèle wasn't exactly rich and/or famous.
lol i actually would like to, got any goood reads on it? But what i meant more by that was that i dont want to get the wrong parts due to my mistake in part numbers, Hes never givin me a wrong part yet :toothless

1 - 19 of 19 Posts