Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read them all, but I don't have a 70's or 80's truck so the F350 vacuum booster/MC and T-Bird brakes don't work for me. As much as I feel that a Vac Booster is the simpliest, I've decided to go the Hydrobooster route.

The Cardone #52-7079 from O'reillys works on the f350 351 & 460 from 1990-1997. I don't know if my MC will work, but I'll give it a try before I buy the one that comes with the F350.

So, the feelings around here run either, 1) the booster works with stock BKO brakes, or 2) it only gives you harder pedal feel, unless you update the calipers & wheel cylinders. And, as far as I can determine, there are no upgrades for the late model front calipers. And, I've heard mixed thoughts as to whether or not the stock F350 wheel cylinders are a direct swap on the 89-96 BKOs.

So, here's my plan: I'm rebuilding front and rear with stock BKO parts. Except for the rear wheel cylinders which will be from a F350. I'm replacing all 4 rubber lines with ss braided line. And, I'm installing a F Super Duty Hydobooster with my BKO MC.

I expect to have to modify the booster by changing the mounting bracket to align with the holes in the fire wall. Plus, I expect that the rod to the brake pedal might have to be shortened to get full movement fromthe pedal and proper interaction with the Stop/light SW and the CC sensor. I also expect that the plunger that actuates the MC might not be the correct length. Which could require modifying the rod or installing the F350 MC.

I already did the Carbone Steer Pump update some time back. So, my final challenge will be coming up with the proper hoses. So, have I missed anything or gotten my facts wrong. After reading about a 1000 posts on the subject, not only do my eyes hurt, but I'm kind of dizzy trying to keep my thoughts straight. Like "would the 1994 F450 Booster I found at the JY work?", or should I just stay with the rebuilt one from O'reillys?:banghead

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,409 Posts
I used a 90 F350 vacuum booster behind my 90 Bronco M/C. Not a hydroboost, so most of my experience doesn't apply to your swap. The one piece that may apply is that the rod from the booster had to be adjusted longer than originally recommended to get the pedal right. Too long & the brakes drag, too short & the pedal is low.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im right there with you SnowTom so dont feel bad. If you manage to do the hydroboost swap, i would love your feedback and help for my 93.

Good luck with everything!

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts