Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys/gals im in need of some serious help, i have a 1983 Ford Bronco with 351 engine in it. About 1 month ago i took it out of town and when i returned i noticed a whistling sound coming from underneath, possibly somewhere in the drivetrain i thought, so i got underneath and greased everything i could visually see. The noise has progressivley gotton worse and now i have a VERY LOUD CLUNKING noise coming from underneath, my guess its coming from the transfer case area. I do not have the front driveline on so i know its not coming from the frontend, it seems as if it has slowed down the truck and rpm's also, it happens in fwd and reverse and in every gear. When im driving i can put my hand on the 4wd shifter and i can really feel it as if the clunking is connected to it somehow. All my u-joints seem tight and fine so im really lost on this one, can anybody help please!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
sounds like you answered your own question. put it in low range and drive it around a little and see if it's worse, better, or the same. If it's the same you might not have a t-case issue. I stress MIGHT not.

Have you checked your fluid in the transfer case? If not drain some out (no need to drain it all unless you want to right now) into a clear mason jar or something like that, as long as it's clean and you can see in it. The first little bit that comes out should tell you all you need to know. While you're down there see if you can wiggle the yoke up and down or side to side. It shouldn't move much (if any) in those directions.

Good luck man

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok , i put it in low 4wd and its the same, but i dont have my front driveline on so i dont know if that makes a difference, Im going to take your advice Goober and drain a little transfer case fluid and see if there is any metal in it, do you know if there is just a standard drain plug and a standard fill plug to be able to put more back in? Also what kind of fluid is it , is it just atf fluid? Sorry for all the questions , im no mechanic by any means and all the help i can get is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again Goober for your help pal!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts