Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 bronco The guy had claimed to had it rebuilt if i need certain pictures let me know.I know there might be a few related topics but i need some help with this mess. So Theres a wire not pluged into the harness it has a gray MAF theres no tamper proof screws on the maf. Theres a block off plate and EGR is removed. but no dummy I want to order the dummy but i dont know whats going on with the wire out of the harness i saw you can get a dummy for at the harness i dont think thats whats on it? the maf wires for the harness have wire conecters on it and theres a temp sensor in the intake box but the wires arent going anywhere? Theres no power and if it idles it smokes relly bad. So far ive replaced the plugs and plug wires they where all almost new condition when they came out.let me know i want this running under its own power! I know i took on a handfull but i relly like this bronco and ill willing to do the work to undo the damage thats been done!

Heres my email [email protected]
heres my phone number call or txt 402-812-7626
or post on here ill be checking this post about every hour!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A 1990 bronco did not have MAF, but I can see that this one does.

I don't know about that loose wire.
The open connector looks similar to the TPS connector if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't have any documentation handy but I seem to recall that the color PINK is involved in the fuel pump circuit.
That loose wire may be PINK with a light blue tracer. MAYBE that is involved in the fuel pump circuit. You'll need a wiring diagram.
Perhaps it was disconnected and the fuel pump relay was hard wired in.

Wow! I can't attach an image!

I copied and circled the green relay that is in the center of your third image. That I imagine is your fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
1) 1990 didn't "come" with MAF, but looks like you had someone do a MAF conversion.. That being said I don't know why the MAP sensor is still plugged in. (your first picture.. upper left hand corner with the vacuum line on it) IF the MAF is hooked up the MAP sensore should be unplugged.

2)I don't know how you guys can see if the TPS is missing since the TPS is under the throttle body.. That plug goes to the EGR. Since he has no EGR it can't go anywhere.. You need to get an EGR eliminator. $20 at Fordfuelinjection.com

3) I can't tell the color of the wire you are holding.. What is the primary and secondary color? Is it orange with a blue stripe?

*EDIT*

It looks like someone was "TRYING" to do a MAF conversion onto that motor and couldn't get it to work right and ended up giving up and selling it off... First thing you need to do.. Pull out your ECU and take a picture of it and post it up.. We need to find out what ECU you have.. MAF needs a different one then the bronco came with..

ECU is located behind the drivers side kick panel. 10mm nut to undo the wiring harness from the engine bay and then a 10mm to unbolt it from the cradle inside the truck

More then likely I won't see this post again till after the weekend.. I really hate wiring, but unfortunatley for me I've become very good at it with the broncos...

http://fordfuelinjection.com/ is a site that has good info on MAF conversion.

Here's a link that explains it more http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/MassAirConversion/

Here's a link to some wiring diagrams to see if you can't figure it out..

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Damn Vic's helpful. Beat me to it man.
:thumbup

I edited that post a bunch of times to keep adding info that I thought would help..

I already had to deal with the wiring nightmare of some hack job from a PO on my bronco..

+ I did so much research on the MAF setup so I'm pretty familar with it.

So put the 2 together.. bamn.. insta-help :rockon

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Did you say that the wires from the ACT/IAT in the air box are unconnected? They should be going to PCM ACT Pin #25 and SIG-RTN Pin #46 on both Speed Density and MAF PCM's. Or just extend it to the old harness connector (if it is still connected).

If you still have the the original ACT/IAT located in the Intake Manifold and connected to the harness, you are probably out of tune which can affect your idle speed, fuel delivery and spark timing (not to mention EGR Control)...

It also looks like you could use a new throttle cable, as well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So should i finish the conversion or put it back to air speed density? ill get the ecu picture to you as soon as i can its like 100 degrees out lol and my trucks in my apt parking lot no shade at all.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
>I< would put it back to stock speed density and get the engine to run right.. As soon as it's running correctly and smooth, then do the mass air conversion.

Though that being said.. The injector harness for SD is different then Mass Air... It's a tough call when you're trying to troubleshoot someone else's mistakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts