Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y-all.

To all of you guys who know me, i was the kiwi that imported the Bronco to the UK. Thanks to all of you have supported and emailed me over the last few months, and I promise to update my site with photos when i get the god damn thing back from the shop.

That's right people - my Bronco has been in the workshop since i received it in Sept 2005. I have had nothing but one headache after another, because of the Jerk in Massachusetts that sold it to me, and the subsequent problems trying to pass the strict MOT procedures in the UK.

I'm about 99% there. My final sticking point is this damn ABS sensor which needs fixing before finally passing it's MOT. I have read a couple of discussions where people have disconnected the sensor, however this is not an option in the UK and it needs to be repaired. We have traced the problem to the sensor itself which is broken and needs to be replaced. I am in desperate need of a new sensor… does anyone know where I can get one from?? And will this eliminate my problem? Or will there be an underlying problem that I do not know about.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

Regards,

David

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I'd say Broncograveyard.com or take the dash apart and pull the light bulb see if anybody notices

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
OK.....so what sensor exactly are we talking about here.
If your truck has RABS then you only have the one on the top of the rear pumpkin. If your truck has ABS, it has three sensors......one for each front wheel and the one in the rear on the top of the rear pumpkin. They are very easy to come by, but we will need to know exactly what ones we need...

We can use Rock Auto to order the sensors.....they are about the least expensive and have very good customer service, and a real good selection of both OEM stock Ford/Motorcraft parts.......and also the less expensive generic versions......and everything in between.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, the Bronc is a '94 which i believe is only ABS on the front wheels. as for knowing which side it is i really cant remember even though they told me in the shop about 2 hours ago!!! but i will find out tomorrow for you guys.

Thanks again for such a quick response, you guys are a credit to this site i really wish i could convey how nice it is to be able to ask a question from halfway round the world and have a whole bunch of people willing to help.

I only hope at some stage i can help you guys out.
Kind regards
David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, the sensor is the left front one thats screwed up at the minute, unfortunatly my garage guy already ordered a part from the states for about £80 - thats about $160!!!!!!! i bet you guys are gonna make me sick and tell me you can pick them up free with a happy meal over there!!!

Well anyhoot, please all monitor this thread cos when this part arrives, aparently we will only find out then if its part of a bigger problem so i may still need your help!

Thanks to all that have replied and the moral of this story is dont import a Bronco to the UK without importing a Fords Parts Depot first!!!!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
thats about $160!!!!!!! i bet you guys are gonna make me sick and tell me you can pick them up free with a happy meal over there!!!

At least you're keeping your sense of humor about the whole thing.

But no, this probably is a bit of a more expensive piece. Seems like everything with ABS is expensive, glad mine is all tore out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, got the part from the states, fitted it, guess what.......... she still dunna work captain kirk!!!

I now need ABS wiring diagrams or something for an electrical guy to have a look at, i've searched the web but i cant seem to locate the relevant ones.

If anyone can send me a link to which they think isthe correct one, it would be greatly recieved!!

Kind regards
DAvid

·
Explorer driving
4,192 Posts
Go here... http://www.mattsauto.com/animation.html

Click on the search button towards bottom of column on left side of page.

Then click on brake problems.

Next, scroll down to ABS problems, then click on electrical.

Maybe this will help. Worth a shot anyhow.

(Found on Miesk5's pages)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok fellas, thank you for your recent support, however, my garage guys just need a few bits more which i cant seem to trace either through the web-site or see in Steves Library of photos!!!

Now, wht we need apparently (you'll have to bear with me as i'm no mechanic myself, i'm just the good looking one!!), is to know what are the resistance values of the ABS wheel sensors, plus the resistance value of the pump.

We also need to know if wen you turn the ignition on, does it perform a resistance check straight away or is it only after driving for a while and then turn off the ABS light on the dash.

You see, on a Range Rover or Land Rover, the ABS light generally only re-sets it self after it has been driven and the brakes applied a few times to check the resistance on the circuit. Where as, most other vehicles perform a quick sweep of the circuit as soon as you've turned on the ignition and then turns off your ABS light.

This is the last sticking point i have to get my vehicle registered on the roads over here so any help greatly recieved.

kind regards

David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Steve (again!!!!), i have passed the details on to my colleague, we definatly studied this diagram before but we couldnt see the resitance values and although like you say it probably doesn't matter, we had to check as we were recieving a slightly different reading form both sides and we were getting around 1000 Ohms as opposed to the 1 Ohm you quoted.

Like i say, i could be getting some of these details wrong as this is not my field of expertise but either way i'll keep in touch and let you know how we get on.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
just a hunch here but i will throw it out there. does your truck have an aftermarket towing package on it? if so check all the wiring. the ass clown who did mine before i got it tapped into the worng line for power and that screwed up my ABS. i dont have abs anymore so i dont worry about it

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just a silly question. Did you clear the memory in the computer? I can't recall if it clears whenever you fix the problem or not. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the ABS does perform a quick self-test whenever you start the vehicle. That's why you can feel the pedal pulsate if you press it right after startup. Does the light come on without driving the truck? You may need to disconnect the ABS module from the harness and check the resistance on the pins going to the LF wheel sensor. Another silly question...Are the tyres all the same size? If not, it would cause the error.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently (i'm just going on what my engineer says cos this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me!!) The memory is cleared and yes the system does perform a self check on start up which is kinda where the problem starts.

OK, now you'll have to bear with me as this may sound different this side of the water but we need to know: -

.... On the ATE Controller, when it does its preliminary checks, does it pull the main relay down on terminal 19???? (ie: does it earth it)

Also if it does (which it isnt on ours!) how much can you guys buy them for over there, if indeed you can buy them??

The part number is:
F47A-2C219-FA
ALB
10.0944-0103.4

By the way, checked tyres - all same size

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did he check the resistance on the wheel speed sensor all the way to the abs module? The sensor resistance should be between 800 and 1400 ohms. Should not be much different from the module to the sensor. As far as the module goes, you might try www.fordparts.com. I'm unsure if they ship overseas, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts