Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need help badly. ive got a 85 with a 351w H.O. . i start it up and it runs perfect for about 20 minutes and then it will just die. it doesnt miss just shuts off. if i wait about 5 minutes i can start it back up but this time it wont run but for about 2-3 minutes. i have replaced the igntion coil, fuel filter,and ignition control module. the rotor is turning fine and there is no carbon on the cap or rotor. the distributor was replaced about 6 months ago. i am stumped. i was wondering if anyone could tell/ show me where the ballast resistor is. and if that could have anythign to do with it. also the cover over my ignition control module has 2 packs? with wires going into the igntion harness and vacuum lines. what is this(cruise control????). my only other thought which is way out there could a clogged catalytic converter cause this? like i said im lost. any ideas are appreciated thanks

andy

SuperFord.org - 1985 Ford Bronco

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gauge isnt showing that its any warmer than normal., im thinking something in the ignition is warming up ( a coil type deal) and as it warms up it expands and thecoil is broke somewhere and creates too much gap

T

·
0 Posts
Yep, spark box. The earliy Ford electronic ignition was worse than the TFI's

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
already changed the ignition control module, i assume thats what u mean by spark box. carry 2 spares with me at all times, tried both of those and it did the same thing so i put a new one form autozone on and same thing

T

·
0 Posts
Okay, what about the pickup screen in the fuel tank. the end of the pickup tube has a little screen on it.
It can become plugged just like a fuel filter.
Take the fuel line from the tank lose, pull the filler cap, and blow air back through it.
That will clean the screen temporarily, that may at least help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just replaced that screen( new fuel gauge sending unit bout a month ago) there was no trash in old one. i think it may be the pick-up coil in the distributor, i picked one up today just gotta put it in. ill let yall knwo if it works

T

·
0 Posts
That was my next guess, usually you can look at them and see they are bad.
They kind of melt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didnt notice it melted, im thinkin the coil inside just broke, i dunno though

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just lettin yall know its fixed thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts