Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 bronco, I've tried everything and cant get it to start. When I jump the starter it in only turns for a second, just a cough. The motor turns slightly. I've tried a fresh battery, new cables, new starter, jumping the solenoid, and jumping the starter directly, and still just a cough. Please give any suggestions.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mike.....first off you should go over to the intro forum and introduce yourself.....

Secondly you need to tell a bunch more stuff about your truck.

And thirdly you need to check for codes.

I am sure if you just do a few of these things you will get plenty of quality help ASAP!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did the intro, sorry I was in a hurry. The bronco has a 460 swapped into it. The engine was recently rebuilt and dropped back in. I didn't do the rebuild or put the engine in, I bought it just afterward about a week ago. I believe the transmission is stock, although I'm not sure. I cranked the engine over with a wrench so I no it isn't locked up, then replaced the starter, then replaced all wires to the starter and then the ground wire. It turns for a second when I jump the starter directly but then stops. Let me know what other info you, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just off the top of my head at 12:03 AM EDT I would say it sounds a lot like a bad connection somewhere, and when the higher amps are pulled through it (like when you try to start her up) its too much for the bad connection to handle and it fails........I am sure others will chime in though.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Its hard to check codes in an 81... no computer:thumbup

Check the grounds, they are usually the problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend told me I should shim the starter, It may be too close to the flywheel and binding. Anyone know where I can get ths shims?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just finished rebuilding a 302 at first i couldn't turn it over by hand. put the starter on and still didn't turn over, finally hooked all my grounds up and installed a hi- torq starter. turns over easily now! to help yours i'd install new grounds and power wires atleast 2 awg. you can get it at just about any auto parts store.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
483/499_302Bronco said:
at first i couldn't turn it over by hand. put the starter on and still didn't turn over, finally hooked all my grounds up and installed a hi- torq starter. turns over easily now! to help yours i'd install new grounds and power wires atleast 2 awg. you can get it at just about any auto parts store.
Hate to break it to ya but that was not the brightest idea. Your supposed to be able to turn the crank during the assembly process, so you got your bearing clearances WAYYY to tight.

Also welding cable is cheaper and can bend easier

1 - 10 of 10 Posts