Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making an attempt to recharge my battery in my 86 EFI, I put the positive connector to the negative, and the negative connector to the positive. It fried on of the wires coming off my starter relay. After replacing the wire, my lights and stuff work, but now it won't start, or turn over at all. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
your battery might have just crapped its self with all that wrongness done to it
or you might have burnt up a fusible link or fried the starter. reverse polarity can cause some major damage.
my first check would be the relay tho:thumbup

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
check your fuses... if those are good try putting power to the starter selinoid to see if the truck tries to start. If not try replacing your starter/starter selinoid.. you might ov F'd a whole bunch of chit up...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
actually if power to the seliniod doesnt work, imo, id replace that first... and if you havent already, replace that battery....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update on reversed jumper cables

So, I changed the starter solinoid and now I have power going to all the electrical, but it won't turn over. Could I have possibly ruined the starter? Thanks for the guidance.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
So, I changed the starter solinoid and now I have power going to all the electrical, but it won't turn over. Could I have possibly ruined the starter? Thanks for the guidance.
Does it make any sounds when you turn the key?

Test to see if your getting 12v out to the starter relay. May have fried the lower switch on the column. Could have burnt a wire or the starter up too.

KC

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't think you have ruined the starter. It's a DC motor like a winch.

What do the lights do when you try to start it? do they dim all the way down? If they do, have the battery tested. If they don't dim at all, check the starter circuit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
777 Posts
check for power at the red-light blue wire at the starter relay when you turn the ignition to start. if you have power there, check for power at the terminal lug leading to the starter. if you have power there, then pull the starter and have it checked at autozone or similar parts store.

if you don't have power at the red-light blue wire then you might have blown some fusible links.

do you have a haynes manual and a dvom?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts