Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 bronco that ran fine. One day it started a intermittent surge while driving then one day after I parked it never started again. Rotates and has spark but no start. I think it is fuel pump. I pushed in valve on rail after taking it off to clean and no gas. I rotated engine quit a few times before pushing valve. I did the test that is stated to do in haynes manual and could not hear pump run. any help and if i need pump where can i get a deal. thanks in advance:rockon

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Did you check the fuel pump relay?

In those years, there are two pumps. A lift pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump on the drivers side frame rail.

KC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the fuel pump relay?

In those years, there are two pumps. A lift pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump on the drivers side frame rail.

KC
How do I check relay? When I did the test the manual stated to do by grounding lead at connector test under hood, I did not hear either pump come on

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
How do I check relay? When I did the test the manual stated to do by grounding lead at connector test under hood, I did not hear either pump come on
This isn't a scientific test, but when you turn the key to the run position, just before the motor cranks, you should hear a relay or two click, and the fuel pump turn on. If not, power isn't being sent to the pump(s). If you have another ford style relay, I'd just throw it in and check again. If you hear a click and the pumps run, then it's time to test them. (procedure is in the haynes manual)

KC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isn't a scientific test, but when you turn the key to the run position, just before the motor cranks, you should hear a relay or two click, and the fuel pump turn on. If not, power isn't being sent to the pump(s). If you have another ford style relay, I'd just throw it in and check again. If you hear a click and the pumps run, then it's time to test them. (procedure is in the haynes manual)

KC
I will try this tomorrow and let you know what i find. Thank you very much for your input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts