Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the sudden influx of newb's is great for the site. Wonderful. I feel though, that we have lost the emphasis on the use of the SEARCH button.

First off, lemme clear up a few things, common questions if you will.

Take the sway bars off!! As soon as you get the damn truck. Just take em off, dont ask why or how, just do it.

Yes, the top does come off, fifteen bolts on mine, if I remember. And while your at it, take the doors off.

Go six inches, everybody wishes they had that only went with four.

A/T anything are for pussies.

My truck is the way I want it, so don't ask me how you should build yours.

The newb's just need to take a little time, do some research, answer your question before it gets asked, that sorta thing. We have a search button, please, use it.

Thank you all for your time. Enjoy the site! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember when I was told to use search for the first time, I was kinda offended. This was in my newbie days. I was like "geez, it's just one question..."

Well, now that that "one question" has been asked by 100 people, I see know why I was told that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The search function on most bulletin board software completely sucks compared to a real search engine like Google. It's slow and doesn't do any word correlation, pattern matching, or anything, just raw text matching is so 80's and it sucks.

There is no search link until you sign up for an account on this board. I'm sure this causes less people to search than anything else (it did me). This is especially true for the newbie to the board that is just looking for information. They don't see a search feature so they sign up and ask a question never realizing that the search function magically appeared after they signed up. Confusing, especially to someone new to the board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I know it's a pain. I have been a member of hundreds on online communities over the years and it's the same everywhere. Personally I don't mind answering the same question a million times but I know it bothers some people. I don't like hostile attitudes towards new people though. Like I said, you see the exact same thing everywhere, it's not unique to this board. It's just the nature of the beast (partly due to poor software tools also).

Information tends to change over time so getting a concise up-to-date answer is quicker and easier than spending hours pouring over old posts. The problem with most message boards is that there is a ton of useless messages mixed in with whatever you are looking for. It can take a lot of time to sort all that out and you still might not find what you are looking for. Even worse is that you don't know if you found the latest information or not.

I think just telling people to search is a waste of time. It would be better to put together a site (FAQ, Wiki, whatever) that contains the most common information asked for and it kept up to date with posts made in the forum. This is what most boards do. I don't know if this site has something like that but if it does I couldn't easily find it. That's another thing, it needs to be super visible and easy to find. People gloss over stuff, it's stupid but until you spend a lot of time within a particular system you don't really know what is going on and this is to be expected.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,357 Posts
U have to be a member to search
Wrong. You have to be registered. Members pay $20 a year. Searching is free after you register.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
7,544 Posts
The top of the page is a little different after some recent changes. It's in the same area, but the gray box with your name has moved further out. Here's a screen shot of the upper right side of this page today, look inside the red circle. Tomorrow... :shrug

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Yes, thats the reason. Thankyou. That's why after I logged in to reply it comes up. I think maybe the people who run this site should fix this problem. If they dont want people who are not logged in to use the search (I'm not sure why) , they could put the search button there anyways. If you hit it when not logged in, it could come up with a message that you must be logged in to use this feature. That way you wouldnt be looking for something thats not there. Again, I dont understand why they would want to limit this. I guess the forum gods proclaimed "it shall be".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having trouble with the search feature. After I type in what I am looking for and hit go, I get a blank white screen. I've tried 4 times and get the same thing.

UPDATE: I only get a blank screen when I search bronco diesel. Go figure. I have tried other words and it works.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
the search problem hasn't been fixed yet. you type in something to search for and 9000 things unrelated to what you're looking for come up. the moderators need to get together and sort through some of the older posts. this site has a lot of great information and also a lot of assholes that are that way for no appearant reason. what may be obvious to some isn't so obvious to others. the stickies help but can't cover everything. so to all those out there that simply cry "search, search" to a newbie who probably has spent the last 3 days searching through countless posts of bullshit i give you the time honored ttb salute..to the others that actually do help....thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was getting a little frustrated when I kept getting the white screen. I try the search button on different forums, but many of them suck. It does get a little irritating when you ask a question after you've spent an hour reading through volumes of posts only to have someone tell you to use search. Or they direct you to a thread that is 20 pages long when the answer you're looking for can be answered in one sentence.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just want to add my two cents to this thread I have used the search button every time i get on here and i get tired of reading hundreds of posts to find an what i am looking for in fact tonight i was looking for information to put a 9" under my 91 but you cant find any information on how to eliminate the abs and the tone ring vss on the 8.8 that runs the abs i know that my speedo and trans and engine are ran off of the vss on the speedo gear in my t-case but after 3 hours i gave up trying to find anything'
the problem with sherch on this site is you get so much unrelated information to sort thought you get worn out and if you ask a question you get yelled at to use the search i want to know how many that tell you to search actually use it themselfes do they know how hard it is to use or do they just have all day to search unlike some of us that have a life and work and family to take care of.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,448 Posts
Bumping this for all the newer ppl. Use the search and use it well before you start posting. Just about any problem or ?? you might have has been answered here multiple times already

And use the advanced search

1 - 20 of 33 Posts