Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 XLT, 5.8L, 4" BDS lift, Sixlitre tuneup, Getto cold air Intake, 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 160 amp 3G
248 Posts
I have a 94 and plowed with it for the first time last winter. I was very impressed on how well it pushed snow. :thumbup Other than the plow set up the only thing I added was an Air Lift spring set from JC Whitney.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/AIR-LIFT-1...5927_N_111+1994+200728631+600003410_10101.jcw

These pumped up to about 60 pounds held the weight of the plow perfect. You can get them in without taking the springs out, it takes a little work but can be done. :beer

Ken L.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an '88 that I bought last year to plow with. I have a Western 7.5' straight blade. Very easy to install and use. Mine had a blown up limited slip rear end. I put in an open diff as a cheap replacement ($50) and had no problems pushing snow at all.

One thing I am going to do, and many recommend, is to replace the stock front coil springs with some F250 coils. You will get some levelling out with the weight of the plow on it, and since mine are old and saggy anyway, it will help with correcting that.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i have a 93' f150 xtended cab i bought 2 years ago that came with a 7.5' western unimount plow. the prevous owner installed some heavy duty coil springs, and other than some new tires, new u-joints and a new cable that hooks up to the battery and the plow solenoid, works great. i might look into the airbags though.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Well all these guys are correct for the most part. My father and I have been plowing with FSB's for twenty years. Best plow truck for light -medium duty use. I used mine for commercial use for about 7 years but a 7.5' blade is just not big enough for the larger lots.
Anyway it appears your truck is lifted. There is your first problem. The blade A-Frame, regardless of the manufacturer, needs to be parallel with the ground. If you were to install the push plates on your bronco the plow would be at a severe angle to the ground. So you would need to fabricate drop brackets of some sort. What I did on mine was I actually fabricated raising brackets on the plow itself. But after a number of years running like this I ended up cracking the frame. The reason being is that the plow wants to, or should be putting all the force along the frame. So in theory you should be able to draw a hypothetical line from the blade down the frame of the truck. This puts the force of the plow with the frame. By changing it the way I did it worked for a while. But the force of the blade pushing snow and hitting ice, manhole covers, children and cars is actually pushing up on the frame a bit as well as horizontally. It's hard to explain without showing you first hand but trust me it happens. Now this is the way I had it. If you were able to fabricate brackets that put the force of the blade on a horizontal plane with your frame you should be fine. Anyway if your only doing light duty stuff once in a while I wouldn't worry about it. But if your going to be pushing the horse hard during snow storms you better be a good fabricator/designer. Of course if your Bronco or the one you are going to be plowing with does not have a lift your good to go. Air bags up front help but on a 92 you don't need them. After 92 they changed the springs or something. Most plow manufacturers say 92 is the last year of Bronco that they recommend putting a plow on. After that most say don't do it. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.