Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the clock spring on my Bronco last night, and the good news is that I have working horn and cruise control now. But, in the process I ran across these two plugs under the steering column, one of them (the two prong) is actually part of the clock spring but they were not plugged into anything. Does anyone know what they are for?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Interesting, i didn't get a key fob with the truck but it does have power locks. Was keyless entry an option in '94?
I have RKE in my '94. Look under the dash and see if you have one of these.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve, I added a signature with some more info.

First, full disclosure, colors are an issue for me as I am pretty color blind, and there is nothing worse than faded automotive wiring sleeves, I do my best, but I could be off by miles.

With regards to the 2 prong plug, it was taped to the harness on the new clock spring so I didn't unwrap it to see what color the wires are, or to take a picture of them. The factory clock spring had this plug also, not plugged into anything. After some research, it does look a lot like the keyless entry programming plug, but I don't think that's what it is. I've confirmed that my truck does not have the keyless entry box.

The other 3 wire plug I have pictured does indeed look like the TCS/TCIL plug. Is it supposed to be connected to anything? When I press the O/D button on my shifter lever it illuminates and appears to be functioning.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, got some new pictures today. The three wire connector looks like white with a blue tracer, black, and light green? tan? wires.

The two wire connector is black and what looks like green to me, but could be red I don't know

The truck has working cruise, but there's no light on the dash when activated which I thought was odd.

The OD on/off switch also works and lights up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, my 94 Bronco also has that 2 prong connector that's not plugged into anything. I replaced the clock spring last year. The old one wasn't plugged into anything, and the new one had the connector, but I didn't plug it into anything. I still don't know what it's for. Everything electronic on my truck works perfectly. I don't remember if I have the 3 prong connector.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks exranger, I'm in the same boat with the 2-prong plug. The OEM clock spring had it also, not connected to anything. I am mostly just curious what it's used for.

The three prong plug however looks like it should be plugged into something, but I cannot find the male counterpart anywhere under there and I cannot find anything not working.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The truck has working cruise, but there's no light on the dash when activated which I thought was odd.

The OD on/off switch also works and lights up.
The '94 doesn't have a light on the dash to indicate when the speed control (cruise) is engaged. You can stop looking for one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The '94 doesn't have a light on the dash to indicate when the speed control (cruise) is engaged. You can stop looking for one.
Good to know, I won't try to pursuit that one any further. :thumbup

Still really curious about what these plugs are. I tried to study the linked manual diagrams but there's not enough detail to tell which connector I'm looking at in the drawing, and the photographed harnesses don't seem to have what I have.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,694 Posts
please re-adjust your sig pic to meet the size requirements you ignored when putting it up... or we'll have to remove it for you.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 600 by 150 pixels or 50.0 KB.

Also... you should have used this thread for this question, to help others out in the future and keep the forum clean and easily searchable.
Official Name This Part Thread!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
please re-adjust your sig pic to meet the size requirements you ignored when putting it up... or we'll have to remove it for you.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 600 by 150 pixels or 50.0 KB.

Also... you should have used this thread for this question, to help others out in the future and keep the forum clean and easily searchable.
Official Name This Part Thread!
Fixed the sig for you. Was not aware of the size requirements, guess reading would help.

I didn't post in the "Name this part" thread because wiring and electrical connectors didn't fit my definition of 'parts', but if you say it's okay to post such things in there I'll gladly do so.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,694 Posts
No big deal... just trying to help you, help us keep this place in shape. :thumbup

As for the sig pic, you just have to pay attention to the details. It's right there, when you load you signature pic in the user profile info.

(this info will self destruct, to leave a nice clean thread after the issue is dealt with. thank you)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts