Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some 3" copper caps.

Anyone know of a online site or have a couple that fell of a work truck? :toothless

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
id just go to a plumbing supply house and get them. but more importantly what do you need them for, beucase you might be able to go alot cheaper

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id just go to a plumbing supply house and get them. but more importantly what do you need them for, beucase you might be able to go alot cheaper
I hit like 6 places in tucson last week and none of them have 3"

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
order them from one of those supply houses that you went to. shouldnt take too long to get them in.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Have you considered trying a cheap off the shelf heat exchanger instead of a home brewed one like that? I found this one a few weeks ago for a different project I had in mind. For $20 it's certainly cheap enough, and it already has the right size barb fittings to plumb in line with your heater core lines. Just a thought.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008030306331622&item=9-7395&catname=

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

:histerica

That seems like a hell of a project and expensive route to go for a simple heat exchanger.

Hell, I'd hit a boat junkyard and grab the heat exchanger off an old inboard.

Oh, wait... AZ is kinda landlocked I suppose. :toothless

You want me to take a little looky around here in south jerz Jopes and see if I can dig you one up for the cost of shipping?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you considered trying a cheap off the shelf heat exchanger instead of a home brewed one like that? I found this one a few weeks ago for a different project I had in mind. For $20 it's certainly cheap enough, and it already has the right size barb fittings to plumb in line with your heater core lines. Just a thought.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008030306331622&item=9-7395&catname=
I would buy it in a heart beat but I have not really found any information on how well it heats water up. what good is it if it heats water like 15 degrees?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I would buy it in a heart beat but I have not really found any information on how well it heats water up. what good is it if it heats water like 15 degrees?
That is a good point, but I've looked a t a lot of heat exchangers in the past and they never come with definitive heat numbers like that. Reason being, it all depends on flow rate and temperature of the coolant vs. the flow rate and temperature of the water side. There is a formula for determining what the temperature drop/rise would be, but it's been a lot of years since my heat transfer and fluid flow classes.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You could always use 2 or 3 or 4 ...
True, they're probably reasonably cheap too...

The thing is though... I wonder how much heat your engine is going to generate with no load at idle while you're showering... I would think after the first 15 seconds or so, that you'd drag your coolant down pretty fast.

I guess it's not that bad though, even if it does only get it up to about 95-100 degrees, it's still better then cool water.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, they're probably reasonably cheap too...

The thing is though... I wonder how much heat your engine is going to generate with no load at idle while you're showering... I would think after the first 15 seconds or so, that you'd drag your coolant down pretty fast.

I guess it's not that bad though, even if it does only get it up to about 95-100 degrees, it's still better then cool water.
electric fans, you can turn them off. :toothless

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
electric fans, you can turn them off. :toothless
Wouldn't matter gonad, if your thermostat is closed, your coolant isn't going to the radiator loop anyway. :goodfinge

Or you're one of them cool guys who's too macho for a thermostat. :toothless

edit: You want me to see if I can scrounge you up some boat heat exchangers jopes... I'd bet they're plentiful around this time of the season.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2500 rpms will fix the too cold of a engine. :toothless

I should not be so lazy. I need to get this done in the next 2 weeks or so. maybe I will just order 2 of those things from surplus center and see how one does, of add a second.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
2500 rpms will fix the too cold of a engine. :toothless

I should not be so lazy. I need to get this done in the next 2 weeks or so. maybe I will just order 2 of those things from surplus center and see how one does, of add a second.
Two of the 19 dollar heat exchangers will cost nearly the same as two 3" copper caps and then you have to purchase the 3" and .375 copper tubing. Try it out and let us know.

I was looking for a heat exchanger the other day to help heat the rear of the Bronco. My black Lab is older and can't tolerate the cold as well as she did. However even though she can't jump into the rear of the Bronco, she still loves to wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts