Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to buy a decent trans cooler from the local transmission parts shop i go to, and its pretty easy but i need help plumming the return back into the transmission?

Do you just push the rubber hose into the pre-bent OE transmission hose and clamp it? or is there a fittingi should look into?

this is how its going to be routed, any help would be great!!! thanks

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Push on. The OEM setup actually uses two metal lines one from the radiator to the cooler and another from cooler to the return line on the passenger side where a hose splice and 2 clamps connect them. Essentially if you have a non cooler truck you can just use transmission hose and a clamp after cutting the steel line with a tubing cutter.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,844 Posts
Put a bubble flare on it if you can so that the hose clamp has something to hold it from sliding off. I usually add a GM style fuel line flare, but if you don't have a flare tool that does it, a bubble flare works well and doesn't cut the hose like a single flare can.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Push on. The OEM setup actually uses two metal lines one from the radiator to the cooler and another from cooler to the return line on the passenger side where a hose splice and 2 clamps connect them. Essentially if you have a non cooler truck you can just use transmission hose and a clamp after cutting the steel line with a tubing cutter.
ok so pretty much put into the OEM line and clamp it

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a bubble flare on it if you can so that the hose clamp has something to hold it from sliding off. I usually add a GM style fuel line flare, but if you don't have a flare tool that does it, a bubble flare works well and doesn't cut the hose like a single flare can.

I dont have either D: !!!! maybe i can rent the tool? but the guestion is to what point do i have to cut it? or can i just not cut it and shove it into the oe location so incase i need to revert back i dont have to serach for a cooler line

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm about to do this, so following........

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,334 Posts
The steel factory line goes inside the new hose, then clamped. Soft line always goes over hard line, never the other way around.

The better option is a hardline connector (like on a brake line) then a hose nipple fitted to that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, I know steel goes inside rubber hose.
I don't have a flare tool, unfortunately.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live out in the country, in the two closest towns, each is a one stoplight town, one 7 miles, one 8 miles away, there is a carquest, and a Napa. After that, it's a 30 mile drive, one way.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
The factory doesn't use a flare for the 2-3" of rubber transmission hose they use on the passenger core support connection. It's smart to use one but not required. I suppose the flare is insurance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The steel factory line goes inside the new hose, then clamped. Soft line always goes over hard line, never the other way around.

The better option is a hardline connector (like on a brake line) then a hose nipple fitted to that.
im abit confused with the routing i need help
i just got the cooler, they didnt have the one i wanted but they had another wich was the same and cheaper, onlt difference is it silver and a good price at the trans shop

now im trying to find the fittings

i would be plumming from the outlet of the main radiator that is on the top where its easy to acces, then through the cooler (not sure the best place to put it, any ideas?) then back to the existing hard line, if im not mistaking ?

also im not sure the size of the fitting i need and if its better for me to get a 90* elbow or just a straight pipe and try not to kink the line?

im just abit confused with the last part of routing

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

wait, i think i found a good video, if im not mistaking like this right ?

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
That video is correct for that style of cooler. FYI you must use transmission cooler hose. I would leave the radiator fittings along and tap into your return line near the passenger frame near here 1986 Ford Bronco Remote trans filter pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Trans Filter, Cooler & THERMOSTAT install no pics

Adding a remote transmission filter dashcam's remote filter setup

There is a list of transmission cooler and remote install links in one of the forum stickies. I miss when my photbucket pic fix ad on still worked.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That video is correct for that style of cooler. FYI you must use transmission cooler hose. I would leave the radiator fittings along and tap into your return line near the passenger frame near here 1986 Ford Bronco Remote trans filter pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Trans Filter, Cooler & THERMOSTAT install no pics

Adding a remote transmission filter dashcam's remote filter setup

There is a list of transmission cooler and remote install links in one of the forum stickies. I miss when my photbucket pic fix ad on still worked.
ok perfect, i wanted to be sure
and yes, i have to use the correct one

for now ill just do a nice basic trans cooler, maybe in the future ill upgrade abit better cooler with the filter, dont need ther thermostat since i live in a very hot climate, coldest it ever got here was like 40-60F, and it was rare, most of the time mornings are 78F and during the day is like 88-97F

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the basic cooler and gave it a coat of semi gloss engine paint ,only did 1 side
Also here is the fitting I found that fits
Automotive tire Grille Grass Plant Bumper

Font Cable Electric blue Electronic component Gas

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,139 Posts
It's too late now, but I don't know that I would have painted the cooler..that paint may get in between the fins and not allow it to cool properly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's too late now, but I don't know that I would have painted the cooler..that paint may get in between the fins and not allow it to cool properly.
i only gave it one coat and to 1 side, i didnt fully paint it, its just enough so it wasnt so noticible

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just finished installing it!! ill post some pics soon

It wasnt to dificult, the hardest part was putting the small zipties through the condencer and finding a good place to put it.

its noticible !!! i pretty much lowered 20 degress easily and that was with the trans not even warmed up all the way, that was a guick drive to work

and in stop and go traffic is a god send, also i posted a while back the converter was sounding like it had small peblles in it at high speeds when its in over drive, with the cooler it fixed it, im pretty sure it was getting so hot and the oil turned so much like watter it didnt do anything

plus with the heat wave we are having here in PR its pretty much almost a reguirement

1 - 20 of 36 Posts