Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good way to polish up my rims to make them shine? It has some rusty areas from the PO's dogs "pissing on the tires and wheels" . I'd really like to make them look a little better without the rust.

Any suggestions? He said rubbing fast orange or gritty hand cleaner works good

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Just about anything works good just get them clean first. I've used car wax, Flitz and a bunch of other crap. Borax mixed with water will help cut the caked-on piss- But if the rust has muscled its way past the chrome bad enough... now you got steel wheels and you cant polish that spot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Whats a good way to polish up my rims to make them shine? It has some rusty areas from the PO's dogs "pissing on the tires and wheels" . I'd really like to make them look a little better without the rust.

Any suggestions? He said rubbing fast orange or gritty hand cleaner works good
if these are the stock crome rims get yourself some fine steel wool and it will remove the rust and make them shiny and it has never scratched mine before then if you want it to be easy to clean off in future put carwax on

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! I'll give it a try, see what happens. Anyone else?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought turtle wax brand chrome polisher and it did pretty well i got it from advanced auto

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just make sure the SOS pads are wet and soapy. They work great for cleaning caca off all the window glass too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
0000 steel wool works well to remove surface rust and otherwise "clean" chrome. If it's pitted there is only so much you will be able to do though. Just dip it in water often. Here are some examples from some clean up I did on my old Honda:

These results were after about 30 seconds of work. I would keep it really fine and not use too much force, but it works great.

·
Registered
133 Posts
0000 steel wool works well to remove surface rust and otherwise "clean" chrome. If it's pitted there is only so much you will be able to do though. Just dip it in water often. Here are some examples from some clean up I did on my old Honda:

These results were after about 30 seconds of work. I would keep it really fine and not use too much force, but it works great.
RIGHT ON!... at least im not the only one that uses steel wool to clean up chrome thought id be dissed for scratching it on here ....but it rilly does work

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used SOS pads also, course the stock rims have them damn rivits on'm that you can't clean around, but i'm still working on them one at a time over the last couple of weeks, they are lookin' really nice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
oxalic acid ( wood bleach) does wonders on rusty chrome ( but requires soaking for 1 to 8 hours) vinegar works too they say, but I get faster results with OA
a brass brush works to ( softer than chrome so no scratches)
polish with blue magic metal poish, stuff is awesome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts