Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1ton or 2.5

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the run down,
i'm running an 87 bronco w/ mildly built 460 and am still at factory height.

that means its time to go up.
I'm looking to make this a very unique build and dont intend to do anything intense like climb a bluff or rock crawl.

Prospective builds are :

#1) d60 front, sterling 10.15 DRW rear, 5.13's, leaf sprung on 38.5/11/16 boggers. and around an 8" lift to clear the goods and look clean.
i could do most the labor on this myself which is the plus

or... : )

#2) rockwells front and rear with 7.17's also leaf sprung, and 16r20 michelins.
i cant do the work on this, but all the parts/tires come around to the same end figure as with first build. the lift on this build would also be a good bit taller.

thoughts, What would be a cooler build?? my only real concern is drivability with the 16r20's (about 52" and quite heavy)

practicality is not a goal !

try not to flame too hard :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Why do you want all this for a street machine on 38s? I have to ask, because it just seems super overkill.

I give a no-go on 52s and rocks if you're planning on a street ride. It's just silly.

And for a narrow 38, I think you could by with a built D44 and a stock D60 rear.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Quick question...Why do you want a dually for? I personally don't like the 16r20 Michelins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with the 38's it'd still be a reasonable mud rig. and they're thin so it'd work with the dual rear wheels also

i chose these axles because im not trying to have anythig break at any point. go big or go home in a tow truck

looking for the DRW's cause im shooting to build something somewhat unique.. and if it was nothing good could do a hub conversion later on

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
how about a pair of narrowed rockwells on 38s, a buddy of mine bought a set of rocks and had them narrowed, geared, and had a rear locker of some sort, i didnt know anyone made lockers for rockwells, it was street legal and never broke any axles, and when he did get stuck it went deep, the axles where purchased on ebay for a sweet deal apparently, the only problems he did have was with the motor(351w), trans(zf-s5), and t-case(bw1356 manual).....the rest of the driveline was almost bullet proof

·
Registered
826 Posts
My buddy has an FJ60 (early 80's Land Cruiser). Similar WB and dimensions of a bronco. He's running a mildly built 454/C6 and has D60 FR/D70 RR. He has 38" boggers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rockwells because they're cool.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
i didnt know anyone made lockers for rockwells,
No, they were gonna let the military spin one tire while getting shot at in Iraq...:doh0715:

Even all our fire trucks have lockers:thumbup

My vote is non of the above, especially the DRW. Single cabs look good dually, but a Bronco... no way.

2.5 ton is gonna be expensive between steering and brakes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
my buddys biggin drives on the street everyday(rides like a caddy) hes on 1ton chevy rear and a (i think) d60 up front and is about to make a trip from citrus co fl to seymor indiana

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think 1 tons would be a better deal for you although D44's sound better. Rockwells are not that easy to install. Yeah you can through them under there with some leaf springs but then you have to deal with severe axle wrap and then brakes. A pinion brake will not work on the street. Also you have to think about when this thing flexes will it catch the crossmember that your ttb is bolted to right now. Also 52'' michelins suck for anything but road. They flex none and and too heavy to do anything with. They lasted about a year around here on the larger trucks and they have overstayed their welcome. A 4 link or 1 link would be a better setup for rockwells and then the streetablility for the truck has gone out the window.

No rockwells do not come with lockers. Military 2.5 and 5 ton trucks are made to run down the road as well as offroad. All they contain are open diff's. Overson engineering makes the upgraded 2'' shafts and pinion brakes and lockers for these axles.

Are you trying to make the bronco a dually with 38's? Worthless in my opinion but making a streetable truck on rockwells and 52's is to so whatever you want to do i guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And if you decide to get a DRW axle, but run SRW, it looks wierd. My buddy did that swap on his 89 F-250, and the front wheels stick out more that the rear wheels.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the 52's do great in our black fla mud here in central fl

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is alot of very good information. i appreciate all the insight and experience.

for the record i was plannin to have kept the front from a SRW truck and have ran a 38.5/15 on it and the 38.5/11 in the back but if its not a good build then it's back to the drawing boards.

maybe put something togethor with air suspension ?? i'll post make sure to have plenty of pictures when i get to makin stuff happen

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe so on the 52's but they have not plasted long here. Another thing is there are alot of trucks on 54 boggers and 55-75'' tractor tires around here. I know from experience 52's are ran around here but are just way too heavy and don't get the traction other tires get.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
"A pinion brake will not work on the street." head this warning. they really don't work at speed(melt).

lockers for rocks: ARB (good luck finding one but they are made), detroit (some people think these have too much slop due to all the extra parts in the rockwell dif), welder

eventually someone DD a rockwell'ed rig in florida is gunna get in a wreck, kill someone and the national news is gunna get wind of it and we will have federal lift laws. don't be that guy.

my vote: 37's, stock axles, drive slow. if you wanna play in the mud with it make it offroad only.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts