Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
except for trans ams with chickens on the hood, i've never been a big pontiac fan. too much plastic, mostly show and no real go. but today i saw an ad for the 2008 pontiac G8 GT and i couldn't quite believe what i was reading.

6.0L aluminum block borrowed from the corvette, developing 362hp and 385 lb.-ft of torque. :shocked it is rear wheel drive and scoots from 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, plus you can shut off its stability control system for some fun in the twisties.

it's based on GM's new zeta platform, too, which is what the new camaro will ride on when it comes out next year.

it's got a suspension that steals a page out of bmw's 5 series, with a macpherson strut front and rear 4 link, with progressive rate coils all around, and according to reviews on edmunds, it handles the slalom slightly faster than the 535i. not bad.

right now it comes with a 6 speed auto, but a manual will be out later on, i'm sure they'll borrow that from the vette as well.

the kicker is it stickers for under 30 grand, and even with all the option boxes checked, it came in under 33K. i think that is a bargain.

and it is actually not bad looking either, kind of looks audi/bmw like to me, what do you think?

it actually has a decent interior too. not perfect, but not like the el cheapo gm interiors of days gone by.

here is a review, which compares it to the new dodge charger, found it a good read.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=124883/pageNumber=1

i used to think the vette was a good deal, i had C5 a few years ago, and even though they are still a good bang for the buck, they've slowly crept up in price. i think this is perhaps one of the better performance deals out there right now. love to take one for a test drive.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,558 Posts
looks alot like our G6 GT, especially the interior, i like the nose on the G8 better, not as "pointy", the G6 will be paid off next year and we'll probably get the G8 for the wifey, i love it

our G6, its 245hp doesnt compare but even it has a little pep in its step

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Still looks like a bitch car.

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They need to come back out with damn 2 door cars.

As a 2 door hard top that car would look bitchin', but the B pillar just kills it for me.

Justin

·
Registered
904 Posts
doesnt impress me at all...

it and the challenger are both part of the new fatass so called "modern muscle cars". They both remind me of the GT500, and imo all three of those cars are a serious waste of horsepower. Its supposed to be a goddamn sports car, and no matter how much engine you cram under the hood and how sophisticated the suspension gets, you will never get past the fact that it weighs 4000lbs.

I am much more impressed with the current mustang GT, faster to 60mph on 60 less hp and for about 6 grand less.... also about 500lbs lighter, hmmm makes sense. I cant believe how low dodge and pontiac set the performance bar, given that the current mustang is (again, imo) the car that reignited this section of the auto industry and thus set the baseline for what these cars should be capable of.

I would much rather have one of the last run GTOs, a much better performance machine.

seriously though, why make a sports car weigh 4000lbs? The GT500 would be so much more potent on the street if it didnt weigh as much as a small SUV, and the same goes for the challenger and G8... i hope that the auto makers figure it out at some point...

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Not bad looking for a GM product. GTO's are pretty sweet as well.

Hopefully the build quality has improved over the pieces of shit GM has built in the past.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am much more impressed with the current mustang GT, faster to 60mph on 60 less hp and for about 6 grand less.... also about 500lbs lighter, hmmm makes sense. I cant believe how low dodge and pontiac set the performance bar, given that the current mustang is (again, imo) the car that reignited this section of the auto industry and thus set the baseline for what these cars should be capable of.
i have seen 0-60 times listed for the '08 mustang gt anywhere from 5.1 secs (car and driver) to 5.7 secs (edmunds.com), so i would call that pretty much a draw. and the G-8 slows down alot faster than the mustang from 60-0 (109 feet vs. 125). the G8 also has a much more sophisticated suspension, not the dreaded live rear axle that the mustang has, curse those ford penny pinchers.

you also get a 6 speed with the G8, the mustang only a 5 speed. stability control is also not even available on the mustang. i'll not talk much about the plastic interior of the mustang because most mustang people simply accept that, but i don't. also, the "6 grand less" figure is very misleading, if you option out the cars equally, they are actually about the same price. the G8 also has cylinder deactivation, another significant fuel saving feature not found on the mustang gt. i'm not sure, therefore, how you conclude pontiac set the bar low with the current G8. it is getting glowing reviews from the press as well.

i agree with you about the bulk of today's "sports" cars. i would not consider the G8 a true sports car, rather, more of a gt.

but i'm pretty sure the G8, despite its weight, with it's more sophisticated suspension and better brakes, will outhandle the mustang gt very easily, making it the quicker car in real world driving.

oh, and the current GTO is, imo, stupid ugly and as a result has been a real sales failure. it's a shame because on paper it seemed like it was going to be the real deal.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I've loved my Grand Prix GTP. Gonna have to check out this new creation.
you and me both, i miss mine so much. it was great car.

well this has been in talks for a while just not sure what platform it was going to use. i know there were people out there putting the northstar caddi v8 in the widetrack GTPs for a while, well there were a few. but this is tits. im going to show the wife and see if she will give up the D for it

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I think it's very ugly, but it's hard to argue with paper numbers. If the price sticks with the projections, it should be a decent deal. I foresee quality cuts to get the car down to that price though.

Jack, you drive a damn Jeep man, how can you say that you don't accept low-buck, plastic interiors?! :rofl: I dunno about yours, but my Rubi is definitely far from cush in any sense of the word :toothless

I like what they are trying to do with the G8, especially with the price. I dunno if I can really do for it though; IMO it's hard to beat a Navigator as a touring or roadtrip vehicle. A car, IMO, is more of a roundabout vehicle; I want something that's a little crude. Something that plays back...and I won't feel bad tearing into it :toothless I'd love to find an unmolested 03-04 Cobra...too bad most people use them as nature intended :D

All in all, I'd say it's an attractive alternative to the BMWs and Mercs. Well, when I say attractive, I mean financially...I still think it's ugly :toothless

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jack, you drive a damn Jeep man, how can you say that you don't accept low-buck, plastic interiors?! :rofl: I dunno about yours, but my Rubi is definitely far from cush in any sense of the word :toothless
i don't need a bling interior in my wheeling vehicle that gets mudded in/on and hosed out with regularity. in fact, i appreciate the low-rent interior, although to be honest with you, i don't think it's actually all that bad.

but in a car like this? no sir. it's one of the things i hated about my C5. i'd actually willingly pay extra for the non-cheapo interior. ;)

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I thought you were daily driving it...

I like the hell outta my Rubi's carpetless, plastic interior. It's easy to clean, and it cleans up well. It has just about every comfort I need; and I do DD mine :D

EDIT: IMO, the Jeep is the ultimate luxury car; you have the luxury of not having to worry about messing it up :rofl:

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i got my choice between the rubi and the tahoe (the interiors of the current gm trucks are actually pretty nice). anyway, alot of times i'll take the heep just because i like driving it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
its a sweet car, aussi designed and should be a fun car. its possibly my next car, because its not meant to compete with stangs, its meant to compete with bmw 5 series cars, and its half the price.

if i wanted a cheap fun car to drive id get a miata, or mini cooper s

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
You cant sit there and complain about weight when you are putting a good amount of power to the ground, and then make a "muscle car" just cause it weights a bit.

Look at all of the old muscle, 4000+ lbs but when you have the power to move it, then it doesnt matter. For instance, my dads buick .... 4200 lbs, 455 big block, 421 hp and right around 500 tq. Running 11s in a quarter from factory. Same with these cars, yeah they may weight a bit much for a car of today, but when you can put the power to the ground then its going to be quick no matter how much it weighs.

That being said, i love the look of the G8, looks just like a new bmw (6 series, or maybe 7 series).

·
Registered
111 Posts
jackhart;1599519the G8 also has a much more sophisticated suspension said:
Not that great in the twisty turnies but it really shines on the drag strip. One of the most popular mods for the 03-04 cobra is dumping the IRS in favor of a live rear. Guess it all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
904 Posts
some numbers:

Pontiac G8 GT:
0-60 5.3sec
1.4 13.8 @102.8
60-0 112ft
Lat G .88g
15/24- PREMIUM

360hp/385ft-lbs 5300rpm/4400
4096lbs
$32,750

2005 Mustang GT
5.1sec
13.5 @103.6
125ft
17/25mpg-REGULAR

300hp/320ft-lbs 5750/4500
3500lbs
$24,000

2007 Mustang GT500
12.7 @116
110ft
.92g

500hp/480ft-lbs 6000/4500rpm
$42,000

Those numbers right up there are why i am not impressed. All of those are taken directly from motortrend test of each vehicle.

The mustang costs less, gets better gas mileage (on regular, cheaper, fuel) and accelerates faster with significantly less horsepower. It takes 10 feet more to stop and loses .01g in a turn...

What do people have against the live axle other than the fact that it is a live axle? It performs on par with the sophisticated IRS systems of other cars, costs less, weighs less, and its stronger. The numbers from the GT500 show what it is capable of, and countless aftermarket edition mustangs reach well past the hallowed .90 mark on the skid pad.

Jackhart, while you opinted out that you get a 6 speed with the yak, you neglected to mention that its a slushbox as opposed to the mustangs stick, or the GT500s excellent cobra sourced 6. The fuel efficiency is shown well in the numbers, not only does the pontiac get worse city/highway, it will cost WAY more because it requires premium fuel as opposed to the mustangs regular. I dont know what you think cylinder deactivation is going to accomplish, but from what i have seen it is only slightly more than a useless gimmick. Nothing is going to get you past the fact that the car is a fatass.

Im glad to see that someone else has noticed this idiotic trend towards heavy cars... its just stupid. The mustang illustrates the value of a car with reasonable mass and a reasonable engine that easily takes on the "competition" coming from pontiac in the form of the G8, chevy in the form of the comaro, and dodge in the form of the challenger. The mustang GT is head and shoulders above them IMO in terms of bang for the buck, and if you really want to argue raw performance the GT500, and GT500KR (both of which are far too heavy...) solidly spank any numbers i have yet to see from GM products, with a solid rear axle.

I dont hate the GTOs looks as much as most, i find them more neutral than offensive, but damn, anyone that has seen the data on them has to agree that the cars are absolutely phenomenal for what you get. Bad looks, yeah, but 400hp bone stock for well under the original $33,000 price tag, well thoguht out IRS, a 6 speed stick, and overall very solid performance. I would take a GTO over a G8 alllll day.

and arkansawer, i quite frankly dont believe that you bought a car from the Buick factory that runs 11s like that. Maby if you put some very sticky treads on the rear end and ****ing beat the hell out of it at the strip, but no way did you get that from the factory. And regardless, if the car could run that fast and weighed that much, imagine what 500 pounds less would have done. Generally speakin 100lbs equals a tenth.

i didnt mean to fire a shot across anyones bow, im just increasingly frustrated by car manufacturers making obese sports cars.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
looks alot like our G6 GT, especially the interior, i like the nose on the G8 better, not as "pointy", the G6 will be paid off next year and we'll probably get the G8 for the wifey, i love it

our G6, its 245hp doesnt compare but even it has a little pep in its step

I had one of these....it was a rental before I owned it and I chunked it back to the dealer ~8 months after I got it...totally disappointed me, although other owners say the car's held up well for them. Guess it was just a rental :banghead

But the G8's been in the news and whatnot for a while. I like it's styling, but as the very long-winded post above me states, it's not impressive guts-wise :toothless

1 - 20 of 38 Posts