Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 xlt with a 302 in it.
lately i have been having a issue, when i take off from a dead stop at a light or something my throttle response is really sluggish. any ideas on what this could be?
thanx

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
you could also have your tps checked out with an oscillator (I think) and they can tell you if it is bad. That was one of my problems. But Bronco 12372 also has great points. Do a complete tune up and be sure to check all your filters

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
what if we've replaced the filter, wires,tps, and o2

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
idle air control and timing. Verify that your timing is 10° Before Top Dead Center and that there is no play between the crank & cam, or in the distributor.

What's the odo reading, and does the truck smoke? Your cats could be clogged, although rare.... it's still possible.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
ya I forgot about the cats being clogged possibly. I had that happen on a small truck and it ruined the get up and go
mine has good performance sometimes and bad performance others, is that a sayptom of a clogged cat? i heard to test for a clogged cat you pull the o2 sensor and watch for black ash.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor new iac valve, fuel filter. it is top dead center tho. how do i get it 10° before top dead center?
this has only been happening since i replaced all of this.
thanks for all of the ideas fellas

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
to check cats remove the o2 closest to engine install a fitting in to o2 hole , hook a vaccuun gauge to it it should read from 0-2 if its any more your cats are turned and need tobe replaced . happy hunting

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor new iac valve, fuel filter. it is top dead center tho. how do i get it 10° before top dead center?
this has only been happening since i replaced all of this.
thanks for all of the ideas fellas
You need to set the timing right. That's probably your problem right there. There is a tech article on setting it properly. You need to pull some module out of the wiring harness next to the brake booster. Then just loosen the dist hold down and time it as you would any other motor.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
If the timing chain jumped a tooth their would be similar problems. I read somewhere once that timing chains last about 150k to 165k. I've changed several at 165k and they were always out of limits.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Did he check for any codes? Just cause the engine light isnt on doesnt mean there are no codes. Mine has a crank sensor code atm on and the engine light isnt on. just picked up a new sensor yesterday evening and was planing to change it today.....unfortunely its raining right now so it will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Here's a free answer:

Stick your head under your dash board and look at the gas pedal where the throttle cable attaches. now grab the pedal and lift it away from the floor. See how much cable is exposed? It shouldn't be.

99% of these trucks have stretched cables so you're really not giving it as much throttle input as you think.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here's a free answer:

Stick your head under your dash board and look at the gas pedal where the throttle cable attaches. now grab the pedal and lift it away from the floor. See how much cable is exposed? It shouldn't be.

99% of these trucks have stretched cables so you're really not giving it as much throttle input as you think.
:stupid

I had a stretched throttle cable and did the "zip tie" fix. I became uncomfortable with this as a safety item, so I replaced the entire throttle cable. Very easy fix. My throttle body now opens fully.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i use a barrel clamp, that way it's further adjustable if need be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts