Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent weeks I've noticed one or two pop sounds or 'bangs' after I reach a cruising speed of 50 or above. The first time I heard it I thought I hit a bird. Usually it happens only once but occasionally it will happen twice within about 30 seconds and then no more for 20 miles or so. I've inspected for problems but cannot find the cause. Drive shaft seems solid, lug nuts are tight, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated.

1996 Bronco, 5L V8, 5 speed trans, 4WD with manual hubs.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
Yo claytonator,
It could it be a backfire, caused by a combustion or explosion that occurs when unburnt fuel in the exhaust system is ignited, even if there is no flame in the exhaust pipe itself. Sometimes a flame can be seen when a car backfires, but mostly you will only hear a loud popping noise.

Any loss of power and forward motion?

I check engine light on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo claytonator,
It could it be a backfire, caused by a combustion or explosion that occurs when unburnt fuel in the exhaust system is ignited, even if there is no flame in the exhaust pipe itself. Sometimes a flame can be seen when a car backfires, but mostly you will only hear a loud popping noise.

Any loss of power and forward motion?

I check engine light on?
No loss of power. Another point, it seems I can feel a little jolt when it happens. That's why the first time it happened I was looking for a bird in my radiator. If you have ever hit a bird going 60 mph that's what it sounds and feels like. I did a brake job about a month ago and this started after that. Can brakes 'grab' as your driving down the road? My hubs are set to FREE so it can't be the front CV's or U-joints. I'm not in 4WD. It's a mystery and a first for me.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,038 Posts
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Engine bay? Rear end? Under side (front or back)? Can u pinpoint a certain area u consistently hear it when it happens?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
A few things come to mind, but first some questions.
Are you hard on the throttle when it happens? Are you turning? Does the truck bounce at all when it happens?

First, I would say to double check the double cardan joint on the rear drive shaft. If you grab the main body of that joint, can you push it up towards the floor of the bronco?

Front suspension could have a loose bracket, but this usually only manifests itself when turning at highway speeds. And it's usually a death wobble.

How are your engine and trans mounts?

It's not a rock stuck in your tire tread, flinging out when it sees enough speed?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts
Sounds to me like you got some metal in the rear differential getting kicked up and binding the gears.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Engine bay? Rear end? Under side (front or back)? Can u pinpoint a certain area u consistently hear it when it happens?
Seems to come from different areas. Someone told me it might be the shocks. It's been a few years since I installed new shocks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few things come to mind, but first some questions.
Are you hard on the throttle when it happens? Are you turning? Does the truck bounce at all when it happens?

First, I would say to double check the double cardan joint on the rear drive shaft. If you grab the main body of that joint, can you push it up towards the floor of the bronco?

Front suspension could have a loose bracket, but this usually only manifests itself when turning at highway speeds. And it's usually a death wobble.

How are your engine and trans mounts?

It's not a rock stuck in your tire tread, flinging out when it sees enough speed?
No throttle issues, not associated with turning, no bounce, good U-joints, no rocks. I have a 5-speed manual so bad mounts manifest severely when going over speed bumps, I have experienced that before. A friend says it's bad shocks and it has been a few years since I installed new shocks.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
It could be a broken shock...

I recently changed the FACTORY shocks on my 1996 f350. Suprisingly, they were still functioning, but rusted to all hell.

Did you actually do the check on the double cardon joint or did you just look it over?

Is the pop sound just a single time or does it repeat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts