Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. My 96 2wd F-150 likes to make a poping noise when turning and also while hitting bumps. I can't tell where it's coming from but it sounds like the front. I've had the truck on jack stands and nothing appears to be loose and the bushings look new. Any ideas?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Sounds like maybe a bad ball joint. Idealy you want someone else to turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
To test the balljoints, lift the tires about 2" off the ground and stick a crowbar under the tire. Pry up on it while looking at the balljoints for any signs of movement. I'm a Methodist, so my trucks never "Pope":toothless

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
i have a 96 F150 that did the same thing, actually two things.

1st: Popping from front end ONLY WHEN THE SUSPENSION/STEERING IS WET, why i don't know, is silent when dry. all 4 bj's replaced. tie-rods tight. just one of those wierd things.

2nd: mine made a popping noise when turning, especially tight turns, figured out it was coming from the bed, since i wasn't really worried about it, i just turned up the radio. one day, while driving to have some work done, i hear BANG!! turns out, my leave spring shackle had snappend. after it was replaced, no more popping. it also did this when going over curbs and such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts