Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, had an Earl's/Pro-Comp extended brakeline let go in Moab. We had been acting as winch anchor for most of the day, and thus on the brakes (and in Park) a lot, but I still don't think the line should have let go. These lines are about 3 years old. Probably just a fluke, but *I* won't be buying any more Earl's lines.

The line just blew out at a seemingly random section, not in a bend or where it was anchored/chafing. EDIT: it was anchored thru the metal straps lined with rubber provided with the Earl's lines, and thus not "chafing" any more than the stainless steel outer wrap might "chafe" against rubber. Note the little white hole next to the Pro-Comp badge:

I moved my hard line under the framerail and was able to run a stock line..........I think I'm gonna make this permanent as the stock line is long enough once lowered, and it's one less aftermarket item on my rig. I've got some stockers I can carry for spares and I know I can get spares on the road at any Checker, Autozone, Napa, etc with stock lines.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I bet if you complain they will send you a replacement.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
93_bronco said:
I bet if you complain they will send you a replacement.
I had thought about that..........might just try that, just for fun. Ya think I should try to contact Earl's directly (probably better) or Pro-Comp (whom I would expect to laugh in my face)?

I could carry the line as a spare........but I just dont' trust them enough to ever run them permanently anymore. If that had happened in a panic stop things coulda been REAL ugly. At least the rubber lines are more honest.... you can see cracks and swells better and sooner.

·
Registered
741 Posts
plug ugly said:
probably not in Keiths case tho.
Since he probably found them in the junkyard and put them on his rig, he doesnt have a reciept. thus they wont replace it for him.:brownbag
if this is true probably not, but its worth a try.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Keith_L said:
The line just blew out at a seemingly random section, not in a bend or where it was anchored/chafing.
Ditto, mine did too. Masse gave me an idea to use some 70's Jeep rubber hose that's 7" or so. I went to Autozone and they let me go through all their brake hoses till I found a 10" "extension hose" that one end screws into the end of the stock ford hose and the other end fits the hard line fitting. End result was a 10" longer than stock brake hose for cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts