Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its been goin on a while now, clunk off the line folowed by a secondary clunk, hard left turns (like in drive thru's) gets a popping sound, sometimes i think i can hear tinking too from the rear. Obviously this could all be trac lock, spider gears, u joints, pinion nut.. the possibilities are endless. looking around at parts and all and possibly labor seems $$$$$, but i know i can swap a rear end, i did it in my jeep, its easy. i know i've got vss, i'v read the axle thread on here but it just seems to go in circles. i want a stronger axle for the future, do'nt mind having non matching lug paterns for a while until later this year for the SAS, just do'nt have dough to buy new rims and tires as i just did a few months ago. aaany suggestions on what to look for as in swapping? or how to make the VSS work? i saw a relocating kit on the axle thread but it said absolutely nothing about installing and how involved it is.

is it in anyway possible to convert a sterling or D60 to a 5 lug pattern or would that be stupid?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The first thing I would do is grease the slip joint on the drive shaft. It's easy and cheap then go from there. In 90,000 miles I've had to regrease my slip joint 3 times. Kenny

·
Registered
215 Posts
just a grease gun loaded with some good quality grease is all it takes.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Couple of things to check. Look at your radius arm bushings, under your driver & pass door. Check your motor mounts. Mark your driveshaft with some paint, un-bolt it, pull it apart & check the 3 joints & try to look into the double cardan set-up to see the cup & if it looks destroyed, put some grease (blue driveshaft grease) if you can find it, in the slip joint & slip it back together the same way you have the two halfs marked with paint so it doesn't vibrate later. I think I read here somewhere, probably Steve83, that there are frame rivet problems in certain places on our 93-96's so look under his supermotor site under frame rivets or something like that. Every so often I just like to roll under with a creeper & look at everything. Found a front brake hose that was almost rubbed all the way through on the tire a couple months ago & fixed it before it blew! -Kevin-:thumbup

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This is the blue grease that Ford sells. I believe I paid around $20.00 for a 1 pound can. It's not cheap but it last a long time. Kenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts