Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 95 bronco with 5.8 351 V-8. Just recently i had to replace the cover gasket on the rear diff which was leaking fluid and now I am getting a popping or binding sound when I reverse or turn corners. I thought it was coming from the right front, so this weekend I replaced the bearings on the right front but after closer inspection of the sound I can hear it from the rear end. there is a noticable side to side shimmy in rhythm with the popping sound as I back up. Does this sound like the pinion bearings or maybe just a loose nut on the pinion? Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am positive.. I put 6 pints in that extra .5 pint for good measure.. The thing is I really do not want to rebuild the rear diff. and there is no way I can replace the entire rear end and eat for the next month as well. just a little history, this truck has over 230k miles on it. the Rear pinion siezed about 6 years ago on the highway and I had it rebuilt at Sam's Offroad in Tulsa, Ok. it was kind of messy and the popping was similar to what I am hearing now.. but if it is just a loose nut that is causing too much play in the pinion that would be a better deal for me than having to rebuild the entire diff or even dismantling it to replace the bearings on the pinion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You might check the pinion nut. Those are notorious for coming loose. If it's loose for too long, then there will be permanent damage. Hopefully it hasn't come to that yet.

·
Service before Self
140 Posts
You may be hearing your Limited Slip clutches slipping. If your truck has factory Limited Slip you have to add friction modifier to the gear oil. If you changed it and didn't add modifier then thats most likely what your hearing..

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,878 Posts
My 8.8 was doing that and the guy who installed the Truetrac found that the spyder gears had alot of play in them, They would travel to each other and away from each other, It was heard and felt when leaving from a dead stop.. it was a big "clunk" and then the truck would go- Since the truetrac replaces the entire center assembly, the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get the additive tonight and see if that makes a difference.. The way it acts makes me think that may be the main problem I just hope that it has not gone on too long to the point i need to replace the clutch(es) on the LSD. Thank you all for your suggestions.. I will update tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I will get the additive tonight and see if that makes a difference.. The way it acts makes me think that may be the main problem I just hope that it has not gone on too long to the point i need to replace the clutch(es) on the LSD. Thank you all for your suggestions.. I will update tomorrow.
That's what's doing it. You need that additive.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Well make sure you have a limited slip first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I have an LSD because 6 years ago when my rear diff blew up on the highway it blew up the LSD as well and it had to be replaced as well. Grand total 6 years ago 1k. i guess not a bad deal since back then I was not working on the truck myself.. but found this place and I get all the info I need to exact repairs on my own and save the labor charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added the friction modifier this morning and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help guys. and for all those I have seen questions from about how fast the additive works to silence the noise and chatter and slipping in the rear end, It works immediately, so if any shop tells you that you have to drive 10, 20, 50 or even 100 miles to get a result, well they are full of it.. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
861 Posts
every time, its friction modifier and i think it depends on the type, kinda like auto tranny fluid used to be,

i the the trak-lok, and the posi trac have different mixtures

1 - 13 of 13 Posts