Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carbed 351W I put shorty headers on. There is a port on the front of the passenger side header that I plugged. Is this where the O2 sensor would be if I had one?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, Now I don't remember anything being hooked up to the exhaust manifolds but the heat riser valve and I haven't had any problems passing emissions. Now if I want to add an O2 sensor where down the pipe should it be placed?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan are you sure about that for the carbed 351W? I don't see that in either my Haynes or Chiltons manuals.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Aikidoka said:
Ryan are you sure about that for the carbed 351W? I don't see that in either my Haynes or Chiltons manuals.
What year truck are we talking about? If it's carbed it must be pre 86 so I would guess you did not have an EGR valve. Anyone know for sure?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arg, I just realized I put that it was carbed and not the year. It's a 1986 351W. It has an EGR system. Just doesn't go down to the headers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
you must have gotten EFI headers on a carb engine. :shrug
Fireguy is right. My friend put headers on his Bronco and his dont have a place for EGR even though his is EFI. He got them from Gearhead Performance. I would plug it up with something or get new ones. :rebelflag

If you have an EGR than there should be a pipe that comes out of the valve thats on the intake manifold that goes straight down to the exhaust manifolds. Maybe the previous owner took it out, my friend I mentioned above ripped all of his emissions stuff out, dont ask why. Do you have the pipe thats on the picture that fireguy posted?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,851 Posts

Just another pic to show what that port/tube is designed for. See header on the RIGHT.
If your carbed... I would assume you can just plug it, but I'd probably return the header and get a proper one. But, I'm picky like that. :wacko

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I orginally stated, it is plugged. I have had no emissions troubles and pass well within the limits. The Haynes and Chiltons manuals for that year show no tube coming from the exhaust for the EGR system. I would say that the 86 carbed 351W did not use this pipe in it's system. I just wanted to make sure that was not the place for the O2 sensor because I want to add an air/fuel ratio gauge and need to figure out exactly where in the pipe to add it. Or can I just say to an exhaust show that I want one added and they'll know where to put it? I wouldn't doubt the they are EFI headers. The were advertised for a wide range of years. My guess is they just assumed you'd plug it if your truck's EGR system did not use it. Of course that wasn't in the documenation. Big surprise. Thanks for all the info. :rockon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts