Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neice and nephew who like my Bronco but I hate to take them places b/c my AC only cools the front section (at best). I found some portable 12v air conditioners for boats/rvs/trucks and my question is...
Does anybody know anything about them? Are they worth $400? My AC has been converted so it is as good as it is going to get.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
If your a/c doesn't cool all that well, would it be as simple as recharging the system? You stated you converted it... but you also state that your a/c only cools the front cab of the truck :shrug

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Andy351 said:
take the top off and give them sombreros, thats what i do for my passengers.
it sounds like it'll work

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Actually, Ive looked into them. You need at minimum about 9K BTU to even work worth a hoot.

These units are not $400, which I have seen, but more like $1,200.. and there all made overseas (No US manufacturer).

Additionally, to generate 9K BTU of "coldness" as we might say, it would have an awesome draw on the alternator... that is, it would really end up drawing more than your stock alternator could put up with.

It was pretty much not feasible or practical, or cost efficient.

But, it was a kick ass idea! :thumbup

Please post a link to the one your talking about ($400).

Andrew

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is one I looked at. I took it to an AC guy and he said it cools like it is suppose to. According to him Bronco's used f-150 ac systems. Thanks for all the info. but there is bound to be a way. [email protected] Texas is hot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that isn't A/C per say, its a swamp cooler, totally different design...... the swamp cooler blows cool moist air, and they dont work worth a dang in humidity..................

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
AKA evaporative cooler. The evaporation of the water on the grid is what cools the air passing through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts