Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, definately not much info out there....

My question is what the axle was pulled out of? Anyone out there make some sort of portal adapter? Anybody, please help. I know that OX1 has this done to his rig and I am just looking for any info?

Just been playing around on the web and can only find Mog and Volvo portal axles. I have seen mention of them used inverted in buses, but can't seem to find good info on those.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there any drawbacks to doing a portal swap? besides maybe the money issue?

·
Well Done Man!
1,620 Posts
Speed, portals don't like going over about 60MPH.
Also they are very deeply geared, so you have to be running big tires (40+)
Other then that, no, they cost just a little more then a 60 front because of the special parts you have to buy for them.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
They are a pain to install, setting up the suspension properly for them is a pain..just ask Ox. As said, gearing is Llllooowww.

Remember though that with their hub-gearing that they are really strong. The lowest class (I can't remember the mog names at the moment) is like a 1-ton in strength, while the other two above it are comparable to 2.5 and 5 ton axles I believe. The shafts in Ox's are the size of an 8.8's axle shaft, but due to the portal gear reduction he said they are like the strength of an aftermarket (read: expensive) 1-ton shaft. This is because of the gear reducing at the wheel rather then the differential and then passing all that along the shafts.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
you will more than likely need a linked suspension. most people can't get a leaf spring suspension to work properly with the different leverage that portals put on the springs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I was thinking of going with a 3 link setup... i should be able to model that up on the program that I have and get the numbers I need... looks like it will be about $2K just for the axles... would be sweet though when it is all done... I haven't really looked at OX's rig... he using leafs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saurian said:
They are a pain to install, setting up the suspension properly for them is a pain..just ask Ox. As said, gearing is Llllooowww.

Remember though that with their hub-gearing that they are really strong. The lowest class (I can't remember the mog names at the moment) is like a 1-ton in strength, while the other two above it are comparable to 2.5 and 5 ton axles I believe. The shafts in Ox's are the size of an 8.8's axle shaft, but due to the portal gear reduction he said they are like the strength of an aftermarket (read: expensive) 1-ton shaft. This is because of the gear reducing at the wheel rather then the differential and then passing all that along the shafts.
is it like a 6 to 1 reduction in the hubs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts